Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Problems importing OVF/VMDK from vSphere to Xencenter

Simon Demuynck

Question

Hello all,

I'm a college student at Howest Belgium and I was given the task to research the conversion of Virtual Machines from vSphere to Citrix Xencenter.

The problem I am facing for the past 4 days is that none of my imported VM's seem to boot at all.

I have tested this with a Win10 client VM from vSphere and a Ubuntu 20.04 VM also from vSphere.

I export both of them as an OVF template on my Windows Server 2022 that is running XenCenter 8.2.3

I have a hypervisor running Citrix Hypervisor 8.2. Both machines are virtualized on a Proxmox Virtual Platform running on a physical machine.

I import the OVF into XenCenter which first of all gives me the following;

image.thumb.png.23cfcc2ec88b7554f51aa70569f77018.png(It does not do this for the Ubuntu machine)

I then proceed to the next parts of the installation, I also have an ISO folder on the hypervisor where the fixups can be stored.

Upon creating  the imported OVF, it installs the VMDK on XenCenter fine, starts the VM automatically with the needed Fixup ISO attached to the Virtual DVD drive.

Then it proceeds to run the Fixup ISO on the imported Virtual Machine and completes the fixup (Kensho i believe?), It then shuts down the VM after completion and removes the Fixup ISO from the virtual DVD drive. I then select only the hard disk boot before starting the Win10 VM, it then gives me the following error;

image.thumb.png.264b1cb1230c83cc2b055653a9c5a790.png

(Hard Disk Success, but no bootable device??)

I apply the exact same steps for the Ubuntu 20.04 VM, only to be prompted with this message after boot;

image.thumb.png.78b43ac1eef6336c012d5ef5b6c872ca.png

Any help would be appreciated, as i am at a loss..

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Simon Demuynck

3 answers to this question

I think I might have found the problem.
When importing the VMDK/OVF it all imported well except for the boot mode which standardized to BIOS even though i selected UEFI boot mode when creating.
So looks like you'll have to change the boot mode manually with the 2 following commands;

xe vm-param-set uuid=<UUID> HVM-boot-params:firmware=<MODE>

xe vm-param-set uuid=<UUID> platform:secureboot=<OPTION>

Where, UUID is the VM’s UUID, MODE is either BIOS or uefi, and OPTION is either ‘true’ or ‘false’. If you do not specify the mode, it defaults to uefi if that option is supported for your VM operating system. Otherwise, the mode defaults to BIOS. If you do not specify the secureboot option, it defaults to ‘auto’. For UEFI-enabled VMs created on a Citrix Hypervisor server that is booted in UEFI mode and has Secure Boot certificates available, the ‘auto’ behavior is to enable Secure Boot for the VM. Otherwise, Secure Boot is not enabled.