Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Workspace App doesn't install without internet connection - Citrix Workspace Updater service (CWAUpdaterService) cannot start

Ben De Vriese

Question

Hello,

Seems like the Citrix Workspace App version 2112.1 cannot install without internet connection (at first sight).

While installing, the Citrix Workspace Updater service (CWAUpdaterService) is created, but stays on status “starting”. After 4 minutes the installer stops and fails.

MSI logs:

MSI (s) (B8:38) [20:19:53:753]: Executing op: ProgressTotal(Total=1,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=1300000)
MSI (s) (B8:38) [20:19:53:753]: Executing op: ServiceControl(,Name=CWAUpdaterService,Action=1,,)
MSI (s) (B8:38) [20:23:53:922]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error 
MSI (s) (B8:38) [20:23:53:922]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1920 

GUI error:

image.thumb.png.6788beca58ca099913e5a00f4a546be5.png

The Updater service was installed, but keeps on "starting":

image.thumb.png.3abf40ced5336564f4407fb8a1597d4e.png

Previous Workspace App versions (like 2109 for example) didn’t have this issue.

Logged in on the same machine with another account that has internet access: Workspace App 2112.1 installs like a charm.

This happens while using the "/silent" switch, but also interactive (manual installation).

Also the "/AutoUpdateCheck=disabled" switch is used, but this switch doesn't do anything while installing the product.

We are using Windows 10 x64 Enterprise version 1909 and 20H2.

Prereqs MS Edge Webview2 and MS VC++ 2015-2019 redist are installed (latest versions).

Is internet access needed to install the Citrix Workspace App 2112.1 ?

Does an installer switch exist to turn off the need to have an internet connection while installing Citrix Workspace App 2112.1 please?

Thanks.

16 answers to this question

Option A – Add Windows Firewall Rule to block UpdaterService.exe

::add Windows firewall rule to block UpdaterService.exe during installation

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Block_CWAUpdater" dir=out program="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Citrix\ICA Client\Receiver\UpdaterService.exe" Action=block

::run installer here

::remove Windows firewall rule to block UpdaterService.exe

netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="Block_CWAUpdater"

Option B – DisableRootAutoUpdate during installation

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\AuthRoot

DisableRootAutoUpdate

DWORD 0

Option C – Allow access to ctldl.windowsupdate.com

If access to ctldl.windowsupdate.com is resulting in a timeout, CWAUpdaterService cannot start. It either has to be blocked or allowed and accessible.

All this was not a problem before 21.12 and is still an issue in 22.2.

• Like 1
On 1/13/2022 at 8:55 PM, Ben De Vriese said:

Hello,

Seems like the Citrix Workspace App version 2112.1 cannot install without internet connection (at first sight).

While installing, the Citrix Workspace Updater service (CWAUpdaterService) is created, but stays on status “starting”. After 4 minutes the installer stops and fails.

MSI logs:

MSI (s) (B8:38) [20:19:53:753]: Executing op: ProgressTotal(Total=1,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=1300000)
MSI (s) (B8:38) [20:19:53:753]: Executing op: ServiceControl(,Name=CWAUpdaterService,Action=1,,)
MSI (s) (B8:38) [20:23:53:922]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error 
MSI (s) (B8:38) [20:23:53:922]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1920 

GUI error:

image.thumb.png.6788beca58ca099913e5a00f4a546be5.png

The Updater service was installed, but keeps on "starting":

image.thumb.png.3abf40ced5336564f4407fb8a1597d4e.png

Previous Workspace App versions (like 2109 for example) didn’t have this issue.

Logged in on the same machine with another account that has internet access: Workspace App 2112.1 installs like a charm.

This happens while using the "/silent" switch, but also interactive (manual installation).

Also the "/AutoUpdateCheck=disabled" switch is used, but this switch doesn't do anything while installing the product.

We are using Windows 10 x64 Enterprise version 1909 and 20H2.

Prereqs MS Edge Webview2 and MS VC++ 2015-2019 redist are installed (latest versions).

Is internet access needed to install the Citrix Workspace App 2112.1 ?

Does an installer switch exist to turn off the need to have an internet connection while installing Citrix Workspace App 2112.1 please?

Thanks.

Fix for cannot start Citrix Workspace Updater Service when there is no internet connection will be released in upcoming CR release CWA for Windows 2206 and LTSR release 2203 CU1

• Like 1

Hello ,

Thanks for Posting the issues . You basically do not need Internet connection to Install any Citrix Workspace app . Can you please let us know the following information so that it will help us repro  this issue as well :

Version information 

1) We need the version information of UpdaterService.exe located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\Receiver\UpdaterService.exe" - Right click -> Details tab -> Product Version

2)We also need the Product version for the following DLL located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\Receiver\CitrixReceiverUpdaterHelper.dll"

Some more info :- 

1) can We know if The machine was a fresh Machine or there were other instances where CWA was installed prior to the build you are facing issues with 

2)Do you see similar issues with privileges  when you try to change the services of netscaler or any other services .

3)Can you install CWA in any other machine / fresh machine ?

It would be really helpful if you could Share us the logs . These are below logs that we require to understand what the exact issue is .

UpdaterService.log
Usually in the location :- C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\Receiver

Citrix Installer Logs

Usually in the location %temp%

The folder name should be like CTXReceiverInstallLogs-*, You might see multiple folder with that name, Please give us the latest log. For any confusion, you can zip all the logs and send that to us

Hello,

Prereqs

Thanks for the advice on MS Edge WebView2 Runtime, but it is part of our OSD sequence. It was installed before Citrix Workspace App.

We used to have version MS Edge WebView2 Runtime version 95.0.xx.

Today I replaced 95.0.xxx in the OSD sequence with the latest 97.0.1072.55, but the issue remain.

File versions

The exact version of UpdaterService.exe is 21.12.1.4006.

CitrixReceiverUpdaterHelper.dll has the same version 21.12.1.4006.

More info

1. The machines are all fresh installations, meaning all partitions are wiped and re-created with diskpart/format.

2.  I don't have Netscaler services installed on my client systems, so cannot say anything about that.

3. CWA fails on all machines, at least with version 2112.1. We tried multiple VM's and some physical machines. Because of this issue I had to rollback to the previous CWA (2109).

Logs

Not all logs are created, because the CWA installer couldn't finish. 

Only CtxInstall-RIInstaller*.log and TrolleyExpress*.log are available. I'll create new logs and post them ASAP.

I have re-imaged (OSD) a VM and have the logs attached.

Thanks for looking at this issue!

Best Regards.

CtxInstall-RIInstaller-20220203-175632.log TrolleyExpress-20220203-175632.log

On 1/31/2022 at 12:17 PM, Dmitrij Lejkin1709155074 said:

The Citrix Workspace Updater Service (CWAUpdaterService) service failed to start. Check if you have sufficient permissions to start system services.

Workaround: 
1)    Uninstall Microsoft Edge Webview 2
2)    Disable Microsoft Updates for Microsoft Edge Webview 2
3)    Install Microsoft Edge Webview 2 (Version 1.3.153.55)

Hello,

I used Microsoft Edge WebView2 RuntimeInstaller X64 (Evergreen Standalone Installer) version 95.

Binaries are now updated to the latest 97.0.1072, will try them out with a new OS Deployment.

I'm not sure where to get version 1.3.153.55 you mention?

Thx.

On 1/31/2022 at 7:08 AM, Dmitrij Lejkin1709155074 said:

Hello,

I have the same problem with Workspace App and Twitter got 2 tips:

1. Maybe this is because of the MS Edge WebView2 Runtime. This is a requirement of CWA. Without internet connection it can't be downloaded.
  2. Disable certificate revocation

i will test it today.
Dim

Hello,

Did you tried the certificate revocation?

Thx.

On 2/3/2022 at 4:31 PM, Ben De Vriese said:

Hello,

I used Microsoft Edge WebView2 RuntimeInstaller X64 (Evergreen Standalone Installer) version 95.

Binaries are now updated to the latest 97.0.1072, will try them out with a new OS Deployment.

I'm not sure where to get version 1.3.153.55 you mention?

Thx.

I tried the latest Microsoft Edge WebView2 RuntimeInstaller (installation before CWA), same issue.

On 1/31/2022 at 12:57 PM, Akshay Murali said:

Hello ,

Thanks for Posting the issues . You basically do not need Internet connection to Install any Citrix Workspace app . Can you please let us know the following information so that it will help us repro  this issue as well :

Version information 

1) We need the version information of UpdaterService.exe located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\Receiver\UpdaterService.exe" - Right click -> Details tab -> Product Version

2)We also need the Product version for the following DLL located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\Receiver\CitrixReceiverUpdaterHelper.dll"

Some more info :- 

1) can We know if The machine was a fresh Machine or there were other instances where CWA was installed prior to the build you are facing issues with 

2)Do you see similar issues with privileges  when you try to change the services of netscaler or any other services .

3)Can you install CWA in any other machine / fresh machine ?

It would be really helpful if you could Share us the logs . These are below logs that we require to understand what the exact issue is .

UpdaterService.log
Usually in the location :- C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\Receiver

Citrix Installer Logs

Usually in the location %temp%

The folder name should be like CTXReceiverInstallLogs-*, You might see multiple folder with that name, Please give us the latest log. For any confusion, you can zip all the logs and send that to us

Hi
the logs have been uploaded and could you reproduce the problem?

By when can we expect a fix / new version of WorkspaceApp?

Thank you
dim

On 6/2/2022 at 5:02 PM, srinivass1 said:

Fix for cannot start Citrix Workspace Updater Service when there is no internet connection will be released in upcoming CR release CWA for Windows 2206 and LTSR release 2203 CU1

What is the release date for 2206, please?  

For managed installs, where we want to control the version, and set 

/AutoUpdateCheck=disabled

... maybe give us the option to not even install the updater service in the first place and avoid this issue.

What are you checking in terms of determining whether WebView2 is installed or not?  32-or 64-bit and which version?  I'm trying to ensure that the correct Webview2 is installed, but I'm getting inconsistent results.

Dear All,

hope that it is relevant for this discussion. Recently I faced similar issue when installing CWA 2203.1 (no update from previous version). I was given a message that Internet connection is needed for this kind of installation. Citrix Docs stated that as one of  prerequsities the edge WebView2 framework is necessary. It should be incorporated into CWA installation package. But it is only "half-part" truth. There is only initial downloader - not full package installer of this framework.

So I have to install relevant VC++ and this framework before standard CWA installation.

Citrix support only direct me to standard Citrix DOC site.

I just found this also: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-workspace-app-for-windows/2203-1-ltsr/whats-new/known-issues.html

Section Requirements: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-workspace-app-for-windows/2203-1-ltsr/system-requirements.html

Kind regards,

Pavel Stadler