Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Newly created VDAs are always assigned a GPU in vcenter, although the master image has none (MCS)

Maik Ludwig

Question

Hello,

every time I create several new VDAs in Citrix Studio, all of these VDAs have a GPU assigned in vcenter, even though the master image does not have one.
Can someone explain me why this is the case? Our VDAs are not supposed to get a GPU and it is very tedious to manually edit all the machines again in vcenter.

Thanks!
~Maik

2 answers to this question

On 1/13/2022 at 1:56 AM, Maik Ludwig said:

Hello,

every time I create several new VDAs in Citrix Studio, all of these VDAs have a GPU assigned in vcenter, even though the master image does not have one.
Can someone explain me why this is the case? Our VDAs are not supposed to get a GPU and it is very tedious to manually edit all the machines again in vcenter.

Thanks!
~Maik

Interesting... there is  no other mechanism in vSphere that is supposed to do that. As far as I know, it is just the golden image.  If the golden image does not have it, then the MCS VDAs should not... Do you have a script that run periodically and modify those VMs?

One thing you can do just to be 100% sure is to review the .VMX file for one of those affected VMs. You can find this file in the VM folder in vCenter client.

I don't understand it...
We don't have any scripts running that modify the VMs.
I have now also looked at the .vmx, there is no shared PCI device there (I compared it to a .vmx that has a GPU mounted).

Now this is not a huge problem because we don't create hundreds of VDAs every day, it just had me wondering.