Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Is there any way to determine from host log if shutdown command in VM was internal or came from an external API?

Corey Stewart

Question

I typically have a single random user experience unprompted shutdowns of their VM over the course of a few days.  Then after some indeterminate amount of time, the problem for that user goes away and the issue affects some other user for about a week.  Since the VMs are in a random pool, I am unable to see the event logs since the machines reset after restart.  I can only access the vSphere host logs.

Here is an excerpt from the log of the latest unexpected shutdown of a machine.

2022-01-12T18:30:48.747Z| vmx| I125: VigorTransportProcessClientPayload: opID=384841f0-30-bff6 seq=1459907: Receiving PowerState.InitiatePowerOff request.
2022-01-12T18:30:48.748Z| vmx| I125: Tools: sending 'OS_Halt' (state = 1) state change request
2022-01-12T18:30:48.748Z| vmx| I125: Tools: Changing running status: 1 => 2.

The event log from within the vCenter lists Task: Initiate guest OS shutdown , initiated by user domain/admin.   But all tasks list that user for all events.

Is there any way to determine if shutdown was due to a VM OS kernel panic, or if something external initiated the shutdown? Could there be some Citrix task that is executing this randomly?

Desktops 7.15 CU3 (MCS)

AppLayering 21.7.0

Windows 10

VDA 1912

vSphere 6.7.3.1

Thanks,

1 answer to this question