Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Confirm UPM logic and best practices

Chris Gundry

Question

Hi all

Wondering if someone can provide some insight for me and confirm my thinking...

We have Citrix UPM configured as follows, some of these were taken from recommendations, some added by other people etc., so not fully sure on the rationale for all of them.

Directories to synchronize

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Storage

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Sync Data

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Credentials

Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Credentials

Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto

Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect

Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\SystemCertificates

AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

!ctx_startmenu!

!ctx_localappdata!\TileDataLayer

Folders to mirror

AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache

AppData\Local\TileDataLayer

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Vault

AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions

However, we have a lot of folders within UPM_Profile\AppData\Local\ such as UPM_Profile\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\blob_storage which are NOT listed above in either sync or mirror... My understanding is that these folders are there because the whole of the profile is included in UPM, unless excluded, is that correct?

If so, the sync inclusions listed above are redundant, correct? I seem to remember that there is something to do with having to have a folder listed in the sync if you want to have it in the mirrored list, is there anything to that?

If the above assumptions are correct, should I look to exclude say AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\, which would then result in me having ONLY the folders on the inclusion list above remain?

Is the better practice to exclude the whole AppData\Local and only include what we require? I can see that would result in quite a bit more admin initially, but potential for faster logons and better performance etc. due to smaller profiles? As it is an established production setup I might have to work up to this by excluding more and more parent folders e.g., AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\ or AppData\Local\Google\ until we reach a critical mass and can exclude the whole AppData\Local.

Is that the right way to do it?

What happens if a parent folder is excluded and a child folder is included? I believe that the child inclusion wins out over the parent exclusion?

We have previously excluded various folders such as !ctx_localappdata!\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache, which has worked fine and that folder is no longer in the UPM. I tried to exclude !ctx_localappdata!\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\IndexedDB and it has not worked, the folder is always re-created. Obviously if I do as I mention above and exclude AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\, or even the whole AppData\Local\ and that works correctly, then we would expect this issue to go away, but if the exclusion for !ctx_localappdata!\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\IndexedDB is not working then I would like to understand why, in case it doesn't work for AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\ either, where previously these exclusions were working.

If a folder already exists in the UPM and it is then excluded, should the folder be deleted automatically from the UPM, or is a manual deletion required? I think a manual deletion is required?

Lastly, is there a difference between AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions and !ctx_localappdata!\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions? If so, what is it so we can standardize the exclusion list.

Many thanks!

Chris

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet