Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Workspace App on Windows 11 - full PC freeze dropping from full-screen across two monitors to Windowed

Tony Woodhouse

Question

All,

Think I might have found a Windows 11 compatibility issue with the Workspace App, but hoping someone can offer advice which might help.

I've been using my home PC to connect to work remotely using Workspace App for a long time with no problems.  I upgraded to Windows 11 a few days ago and now have regular crashes when dropping from full-screen mode to windowed mode.  The only thing I've changed is the upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

The experience is very odd, I drop down the Citrix toolbar and select "Window" and sometimes (about 50%) it works great.  However the other 50% of the time, a border appears around the outside of the Citrix session and then the whole PC freezes.  The mouse cursor is absent and I cannot use Ctrl+Alt+Del or Windows+Tab etc. to switch app or bring up lock screen or task manager.  So far when this happens, I've had to hard-boot my PC by holding down the power button, and then reconnect to Citrix.  Everything is fine when I reconnect.  I run a duel monitor setup, but am unsure if that's relevant.  Some elements of the PC continue to function in the background, while others do not.  For example, I was in a Teams meeting this morning and had one of these freezes.  I could continue to hear my colleagues, but they reported that I had frozen and could not hear me.  Very strange....

I'm running the latest 21.9.1.4048 version of the Workspace App (full support information given below)

Any suggestions on the following would be useful:-

* ways to close Workspace app or recover control of my local PC (maybe some keyboard shortcuts I'm unaware of)

* way to get a crash report or open a ticket with Citrix - pretty sure this is a glitch they'll need to fix?

* Anyone else having similar trouble

* Suggestions for fixing it?

Best wishes,

Tony

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Diagnostic version="1.0">
  <Workspace version="21.9.1.4048">
    <Plugin>
      <Name>Online Plug-in</Name>
      <ID>{8C92B884-C818-45D0-A757-7123B78AA247}</ID>
      <Version>21.9.0.33</Version>
    </Plugin>
  </Workspace>
</Diagnostic>

4 answers to this question

Quick update:

• Haven't yet been able to replicate while transitioning from a single screen window to full-screen (no crash after about 20 cycles between modes)
  • Crashes regularly though when transitioning between duel screen full-screen and windowed, so this suggests that multi-monitor is part of the issue. 
  • Got it to crash on the transition from Windowed to full-screen (previous crashes had been on transition from Full-screen to windowed) so seems to happen in both directions
  • Tried recording logs and replicating, but unfortunately as the PC crashes, I cannot complete the record logs feature
  • Tried a reset of Workspace to default settings, but that hasn't resolved
  • Tried changing the High DPI setting to "no" but that hasn't resolved.

The Workspace app installer deploys multiple modules. Here are the important ones:

-ICA Engine (wfica.exe) – process that uses the ICA protocol to connect to published apps and desktops.
-Self-Service (selfservice.exe) – gets icons from StoreFront and displays them in a Window. When an icon is clicked, Self-service passes the ICA file to the ICA Engine to establish a connection.
-Single Sign-on (SSON) for ICA (ssonsvr.exe) – captures user credentials and submits them to VDAs after an ICA connection is established
-Workspace Auto-Update (CitrixReceiverUpdater.exe) – Notifies users of Workspace app updates. The most recent name for this component is Citrix Workspace Update.

Hope this will help you Myloweslife

On 1/5/2022 at 6:20 AM, Dominique Bechtelar said:

The Workspace app installer deploys multiple modules. Here are the important ones:

-ICA Engine (wfica.exe) – process that uses the ICA protocol to connect to published apps and desktops.
-Self-Service (selfservice.exe) – gets icons from StoreFront and displays them in a Window. When an icon is clicked, Self-service passes the ICA file to the ICA Engine to establish a connection.
-Single Sign-on (SSON) for ICA (ssonsvr.exe) – captures user credentials and submits them to VDAs after an ICA connection is established
-Workspace Auto-Update (CitrixReceiverUpdater.exe) – Notifies users of Workspace app updates. The most recent name for this component is Citrix Workspace Update.

Hope this will help you Myloweslife

Thanks - not sure how that helps though. Best wishes, Tony