Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix HyperVisor Express end of life?

Nathan Budd

Question

XenCenter is reporting:

"Citrix Hypervisor 8.2 has reached end of life for express customers. You are no longer eligible for hotfixes released after this date. Please upgrade to the latest CR."

It seems, however, that there are no new CR's available.

The same seems to apply to XenCenter 8.2.4.

Does Citrix no longer support an Expres/Free version?

On 12/16/2021 at 2:39 AM, Nathan Budd said:

XenCenter is reporting:

"Citrix Hypervisor 8.2 has reached end of life for express customers. You are no longer eligible for hotfixes released after this date. Please upgrade to the latest CR."

It seems, however, that there are no new CR's available.

The same seems to apply to XenCenter 8.2.4.

Does Citrix no longer support an Expres/Free version?

Hi,

I think, Citrix is getting with this update politic rid of the Express version and the Express users are welcome to pay or leave Citrix...

Either I am blind and not capable to use Google, but I don't find any update I am eligible to install.

On 12/16/2021 at 9:42 AM, Francois Mace said:

I think you might have to install CH82ECU1 (https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX335564).

It was released on december 13 (date mentionned in the extend message in XenCenter) and it seems to covert 8.2 to 8.2 LTSR.

Edit: however the description of the CH82ECU1 mentions, as a prerequisite "Licensed customer with Customer Success Service" so I am a little bit lost here too.

No, it cannot be installed. Check the screenshot.

image.thumb.png.655dfb2d318122ac2bdaf0ba7643ac29.png

12 hours ago, Peter VARGA1709157052 said:

Yep, it looks like the free users are not welcome anymore. Now, apparently, it's indeed time to think seriously about an alternative solution.

Peter

12 hours ago, Ramon Sequoia said:

In the same boat, all downloads that I can get to are for 8.2.3 which I have installed already.
Offering a free version with a really basic support is the way to test drive and advertise a product. I give it a few more weeks since it isn't as if the hv stops working, but looks like evaluating other options.

Hello guys,

We'll be happy to get you on XCP-ng project ? The migration cost is really low (you can even live migrate VMs from Citrix Hypervisor to XCP-ng!). And it's entirely Open Source (you can pay for support if you want to be assisted by our engineer team, but otherwise, there's no license daemon or restricted features).

6 hours ago, Olivier Lambert said:

Hello guys,

We'll be happy to get you on XCP-ng project ? The migration cost is really low (you can even live migrate VMs from Citrix Hypervisor to XCP-ng!). And it's entirely Open Source (you can pay for support if you want to be assisted by our engineer team, but otherwise, there's no license daemon or restricted features).

I checked the features https://xcp-ng.com/index.html and indeed, it sounds very good. It's not that I expect everything for free but Citrix's license politic in the past years was a pure frustration. Each year they cut more and more from features and tried to fool the clients explaining them how much better it is.

On 12/29/2021 at 4:41 AM, Olivier Lambert said:

Hello guys,

Hey Oliver,

I am going to jump on board.. I am sick of what Citrix did to the Xen project and they are now driven by greed.. VMware still allows a LAB based version for learning, which is how I learn new releases, but it seems Citrix is driven more by money than customers.. I will be sure to kick over any of my customers to NG going forward

This is really sad; how is anyone supposed to test drive thi product unless they get a temporary license, which s a big hassle as you have to also then need a license server installed..

The latest express edition I can find on the downloads area that's not LTSR is 8.1: https://www.citrix.com/downloads/citrix-hypervisor/product-software/hypervisor-81-express-edition.html

And of course, 8.1 is no longer supported.

8.2 isn't LTSR unless you put on CU1 (no updates after June 2022). It just stops being supported meaning no updates and no help if it goes wrong (but without CSS you wouldn't get Citrix support anyway).

22 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

This is really sad; how is anyone supposed to test drive this product unless they get a temporary license, which is a big hassle as you have to also then need a license server installed..

The latest express edition I can find on the downloads area that's not LTSR is 8.1: https://www.citrix.com/downloads/citrix-hypervisor/product-software/hypervisor-81-express-edition.html

And of course, 8.1 is no longer supported.

'Not supported' doesn't mean the same as will not work. For example, the docs for 8.2 CU1 say 2012R2 is no longer supported. The same has been true for PV guests and older Xeon CPUs since 8.2. So you might as well put on 8.2 Express rather than 8.1: https://www.citrix.com/downloads/citrix-hypervisor/product-software/hypervisor-82-express-edition.html

I can confirm that PV guests and 2012R2 (and Windows 7) still work on 8.2 CU1. With XenCenter 8.2.4, the presence of a PV guest stops you applying CU1 from the GUI, but you can still apply it from the CLI. You can download and apply the CU1 update https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX335564 without having Hyperivsor CSS (for the time being anyway) - that's not the same as having the rights to use it, of course.

The wording in XenCenter makes it sound as though there will be a new Current Release coming (just like there was when 7.1 went LTSR), but given the glacial development of Hypervisor/XenServer who knows if that will ever happen.

44 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

Not supported means there won't be any patches, security fixes, or enhancements. As long as it runs and one is satisfied with those circumstances, it should be OK.

At this point, I'd seriously consider XCP-NG as an alternative.

Not disagreeing with that. I just didn't understand your assertion that 8.1 is the latest Express version as 8.2 CU1 runs without any licencing in place. I tried downloading it as a customer that does not have Hypervisor CSS, but they do have CVAD CSS which grants them Hypervisor rights (when used only for CVAD workloads), so that's why I was able to download XenCenter 8.2.4 and 8.2 CU1 from their account.

I've just tried with a customer with CSS that lapsed long ago and I cannot download XenCenter 8.2.4 or 8.2 CU1. I could still install and use it without licencing it though. XenCenter 8.2.3 and 8.2 Express is still available for download, so this addresses your "how is anyone supposed to test drive this product" concern.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:52 PM, Mike Hampton said:

Will Xencenter continue to work on the XCP-ng servers.  I like the interface and Xen Orchestra is too costly for my taste.

Mike

Hey Mike, you can use XOA Free for $0 (with equivalent and even better features than XenCenter). So it's not too costly ?

And more than that, you can even build it with absolutely all the features (even the advanced ones), from the sources. It's in our official doc ? So take XOA Free a spin first, and if you need more features (backup and so on) you can still have it for free (but without support and build it yourself).

On 1/7/2022 at 4:44 PM, Stephen Borrill said:

I can also confirm that base XenCenter 8.2 and XCP-ng Center v20.04.01.33 both connect to 8.2 CU1. Amusingly, the latter reports that an 8.2 pool licenced using CVAD licences is licenced with XCP-ng Virtual Apps and Desktops Premium

Hahaha, that's funny indeed ? But I would still consider Xen Orchestra to manage your hosts (CH or XCP-ng, both). XCP-ng Center is community maintained only. If you don't want to use a Xen Orchestra VM to manage your hosts (because you don't have enough resources) you will enjoy XO Lite directly in XCP-ng this year. Read this paragraph for more: https://xen-orchestra.com/blog/xen-orchestra-5-66/#-xen-orchestra-lite