Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Create new image (vDsik) with PVS- "the devil is sitting in details" with PVS?

Bit-101

Question

It's been a while since I made a brand new image with pvs. Those days it was with PVS 7.1 and XD 7.1.

Unfortunately I have not documented how I did back in these days. Then it was with VMware as hypervisor.

That I remember crystal clear was the "devil is sitting in details" with PVS - se below 2 examples
Googled a lot but found nothing where to create an image with PVS and XenServer instead of VMware as hypervisor and
with use of image wizard.

I´ve found this but´s not crystal clear when to adding to domain, rearm, macaddress and so on..

https://www.davidwilkinson.co.uk/2017/03/29/create-a-pvs-image-pvs-7-13-windows-server-2016/

-You know those little details that you can missed but will bring you a nigthmare if you done it wrong or

if you do it in the wrong order

Take these 2 examples  where the devil is sitting in details with PVS:
1. f you reboot when image wizard it prompt you to reboot a second time
if you do it the image will not work.

2. If the hardware, (in those days it was VMware), if there was the slightest difference in hardware between the host than

the host you creating the image on, the vDisk will crasch when you set it in production and enable DSR.

But maybe it´s differently nowadays?

It´s embarrassing, I total forgot the real hands on "dirty work".

Really appreciate your guidence of some hands on how it works nowadays

4 answers to this question

Hi,

Take a look at here:

https://www.carlstalhood.com/pvs-master-device-preparation/

I prefer to install the VDA when the image is on PVS.

I normally create a backup of the first disk (This contains: Windows, VM Tools, Citrix optimizer, redirect of pagefile and logfiles (both D:\) and install of the Target software). 

This gives me the most clean vdisk which I can reuse if necessary. 

• Like 1

Thanks

Now we facing what many "Citrix technician" not always understand - a lot of details when working with PVS.

"Just follow Citrxi Article, simple as that".

No, it is´nt "simple as that" and I´ts always often hard to explain to those who do not

gonne trough every single little detail when creating a new image with PVS and it network dependecies

from that you start creating your Golden Image.

Therefore i prefer MCS from an administrative perspective, Simplier administration, lower cost,
faster deployment and stablity.

But I hope Carl Stalhood also have an article (maybee in the future) when you dealing with

XenServer.

Take these 4 examples  where the devil is sitting in details with PVS:
1. If you reboot when image wizard it prompt you to reboot a second time
if you do it the image will not work.

2. If the hardware, (in those days it was VMware), If there was the slightest difference in hardware between the host than

the host you creating the image on, the vDisk will crasch when you set it in production with DSR in VMware.

3. Arm/ Rearm problem

4. Avoid the same CMID on all taget machines - se below description:

"..The image preparation is the main and the only responsibility of the Citrix PVS KMS feature, the license activation process remains a function of Microsoft. This preparation is done by going through a specific set of steps, completed on both the PVS Targets and the Server, which must be done in the proper order, which will ensure unique CMID generation on Microsoft product start-up.

Note: Duplicate CMID only impacts on KMS host machine count of client machines. Once KMS host meets minimum threshold, KMS clients will activate regardless of CMID being unique for a subset of specific machines or not.

B.     Prerequisites and Planning

The Stream/SOAP service account is used in the image preparation process for unique CMID generation, so it’s important to make sure that proper permissions are configured prior to beginning the process:

The Stream/SOAP service account has to be a domain user which is a member of the local administrator’s group on the PVS Servers in that farm.

For KMS based images, Network Service cannot be used for Stream/SOAP Service account

Before running the Rearm command, either for the first time or as a troubleshooting step, verify the Rearm count on the OS by running slmgr /dlv from a command prompt."

And it continues like this with lot of detail "to do things right steps" when you dealing with PVS:

"..As mentioned earlier, following the specific order of steps is crucial for unique CMID generation. The Knowledge Base article: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX128276  provides guidance and the specific steps, including their order of operation, necessary to successfully prepare provisioned images for unique CMID generation, which ensures KMS host machines retain sufficient KMS client count for KMS clients to activate.

Order of steps: ....and so on."

I was hoping these type of old "hidden" details was solved these days?

-I'm surprised if these type of problems still exist in nowdays in year 2021, Nearly 10 years later from 2013/2014