Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Cross partition routing

Michiel Quintelier

I'm looking for a solution in order to facilitate communication between the default partition and another partition we created.

We have a separate partition, which is application specific, in order to segregate all configuration of said application and prevent the default partition to be cluttered with too much config. It is our way of neatly dividing all our configuration per application.

However, in our default partition, we currently utilize a content switch in order to publish applications. I can't seem to figure out whether it's possible that the content switch in the default partition can forward communication to a load balancing virtual server in another partition. Does this lb vs always need to be addressable? Can you set an IP address as a target in your content switch action? In order to limit our usage of IP addresses, in an ideal world the content switch in the default admin partition should forward traffic to a non-addressable load balancing virtual server in another partition (however I presume this is not possible as all names/entities are local to the partition).

We would also like to avoid creating a new content switch in the new partition and publishing this content switch virtual server to preserve public IP usage (even more important than internal IP usage).

Does anyone have any advice or best practices how to accomplish this flow of communication?

Regards,

M.

1 hour ago, Michiel Quintelier said:

. I can't seem to figure out whether it's possible that the content switch in the default partition can forward communication to a load balancing virtual server in another partition

You can't separate entities between partitions that have dependencies on each other because there is config and network separation between partitions (with traditional visibility to the lb vserver tier, like you would normally).  If you want to use content switching it would have to be directed to lb vservers in the same partition.  One: the cs vserver can't see the other entities in other partitions. Two: networking is separate (along with features/modes/certs/syslog).

To get cs vserver on this partition to send traffic to an entity in another partition would be like directing traffic to another tier adc from a networking perspective. The cs vserver Policy would direct traffic to an lb vserver (non addressable) whose service would be the IP address of the destination tier 2 lb vserver. that IP would have to be routable from this partition to the destination partition...but you are then routing off box and not "between partitions".

Routing between partitions is therefore not in box and would go outside of box based on routing rules.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Rhonda Rowland1709152125 said:

To get cs vserver on this partition to send traffic to an entity in another partition would be like directing traffic to another tier adc from a networking perspective. The cs vserver Policy would direct traffic to an lb vserver (non addressable) whose service would be the IP address of the destination tier 2 lb vserver. that IP would have to be routable from this partition to the destination partition...but you are then routing off box and not "between partitions".

It's certainly not an ideal scenario, but in theory it should be possible to route cross partitions if on the default partition I configure a service group which points to an addressable load balancing virtual server on the application's partition? Of course it creates additional overhead, which is not preferred, but this has been bugging me for a while now and was wondering whether it was even possible.