Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Change UUID of restored VM

Gary Jones

Question

Hi,

I have had to restore an OS VM and would like to mount it along side the original (have the original in the XenServer albeit shutdown). However when I try and add the snapshot as a storage repository it says: "An sr with that uuid already exists". Which is correct as the restored snapshot does have the same UUID as the current running version.

Is there anyway of renaming the UUID on the restored version only? I can see that there are instructions to forget and destroy all the current UUID's and then recreate them, but I don't want to affect the system that is currently running perfectly (there are 5 other VMs on the XenServer). I can probe the snapshot using the SCSIid and get the UUID but cant see how I can change it, I wondered if there was a way of renaming the UUID using the SCSIid? Or any other way?

XenServer 7.1.1.4743

Thanks

Gary

3 answers to this question

Hi Tobias,

OK thanks. Had a feeling it couldn't be changed. Usually can find something on issues and there was nothing on this so was expecting a no. TBH it was a bit of a blessing, it gave me an excuse to start from scratch. Setup a XenPool and add to a SAN, then restore the backups as a tester to simulate a complete hardware failure. Managed to update our recovery policy with specific steps and fully test our recovery process from bare metal in the process (quite an undertaking).

The original issue was resolved by the third party software support overnight, they just wanted me to roll back the install while they investigated the issue, and ultimately I didn't need to restore the OS anyway.

Thanks

Gary