Updated Privacy Statement

Disconnected sessions not logging off

Matt Sherman

Question

I've been struggling getting disconnected sessions to log off by themselves. Citrix support can't seem to find a solution either. I was able to recreate the issue.

It appears that if a user logs off the workspace portal without closing the applications first, the sessions hang. In a company of about 700 users, this happens A LOT. 

We are running VA/VD 7 1912 from the cloud

The situation is exactly like the one in this previous post.......... https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/397967-xenapp-sessions-not-terminating/

We found 2 process that were causing the issue and added them to the registry on all VDAs 

image.thumb.png.18d3fb3baf633587377e0684e4f2e2c2.png

After that was done, the applications themselves (Outlook, Chrome, Excel, etc) started causing the sessions to hang. After ending the application, the sessions do successfully log off.

Citrix recommended the following changes to local policy, Computer Config/Windows components/remote desktop services/remote desktop session host/session time limits

image.thumb.png.a74c23e9e505710ba5de60dea167378c.png

These changes were unsuccessful.

If anyone has any suggestions other than the one listed that have been successful, PLEASE let me know. 

Manually killing up to 80 sessions every morning is started to take a toll on me :)  

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On 11/3/2021 at 3:27 PM, Matt Sherman said:

I've been struggling getting disconnected sessions to log off by themselves. Citrix support can't seem to find a solution either. I was able to recreate the issue.

It appears that if a user logs off the workspace portal without closing the applications first, the sessions hang. In a company of about 700 users, this happens A LOT. 

We are running VA/VD 7 1912 from the cloud

The situation is exactly like the one in this previous post.......... https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/397967-xenapp-sessions-not-terminating/

We found 2 process that were causing the issue and added them to the registry on all VDAs 

image.thumb.png.18d3fb3baf633587377e0684e4f2e2c2.png

After that was done, the applications themselves (Outlook, Chrome, Excel, etc) started causing the sessions to hang. After ending the application, the sessions do successfully log off.

Citrix recommended the following changes to local policy, Computer Config/Windows components/remote desktop services/remote desktop session host/session time limits

image.thumb.png.a74c23e9e505710ba5de60dea167378c.png

These changes were unsuccessful.

If anyone has any suggestions other than the one listed that have been successful, PLEASE let me know. 

Manually killing up to 80 sessions every morning is started to take a toll on me ? 

Hi 

It looks like this was a last years post. Are you hosting it as Virtual Desktops on the Citrix / Azure Cloud or is it On Prem? Could you let me know as I have come across something similar to this in Citrx/Azure cloud. So, I wanted to see whether there is any similarities in this.

I think you already answered above that it is on the Cloud. We are using VDA 2109.  We did see this happening with one users and we were concerned that if we had several hundred desktops that it would generate a lot of bill if we did not shut them off. So, we were concerned. But, Did your issue get fixed?

Thanks and appreciate your response.

We have VDA 1912 LTSR CU3 Windows 2016 as OS, But we are experiencing disconnected sessions not logging off even though logoff disconnect session timer policy configured in the policies. 

I could see from the above discussions, some of you mentioned rolling back from CU4 to CU3 fixed it. We are still on CU3, still experiencing this issue. Please let me know if anyone know the solution to overcome this

On 7/15/2022 at 4:26 PM, mmora302 said:

Im having this same issue on Citrix cloud VDA 2203 LTSR. I am also curious to see if VDA 2206 fixed this. 

We are on 2203 in Citrix Cloud as well. We had to schedule middle of the night reboots to clear out the left-over ghost sessions every night. I have not tested VDA 2206 yet as to reproduce the issue I will need to run it in production to have enough users logging in and out.

On 7/27/2022 at 7:30 AM, Matt Sherman said:

Sorry for the late notification. This issue was resolved by creating a policy and adding the Citrix VDAs to that policy. We did not add the virtual desktops VDAs because we wanted those sessions to remain open

cloudsessions.JPG

In your original post you said "

"Citrix recommended the following changes to local policy, Computer Config/Windows components/remote desktop services/remote desktop session host/session time limits. These changes were unsuccessful."  What has changed as we are still seeing this issue with that policy in effect. 

I had this same issue with 2203 LTSR CU1.  Issue never occurred with the 7.15 LTSR.  After some investigating, I figured out that the Workspace app on the server was keeping these session open. So I removed the Citrix Workspace app from the servers.  This resolved my issue.  Not sure why but the ISO installs an earlier version from I think it was 1909.  Not sure this is the best solution or if it will work for everyone, but it helped for us.

Any updates on this issue? Recently upgraded to 2203 CU1 (from 1909 where everything worked fine) and am seeing a lot of sessions hanging around, both active and disconnected, never getting logged off or going idle. This also means that the policy settings for idle and disconnected sessions are never kicking people off, and disconnected sessions are just lingering forever. This is happening both on my 2012R2 and 2022 desktops.

I do have Workspace installed on the VDA's, 1907 on 2012R2 and 2209 on 2022 and uninstalling those isn't an option unfortunately.

I really dread the thought of having to go through Citrix support, who will of course never have heard of this issue.