Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Desktop color and contrast blocky issues using Workspace DesktopViewer on Windows with AMD video card (End Device)

Garrick Williams1709162877

Question

I am experiencing a weird visual issue where there seems to "blocky" color/contrast issues around links and fillable fields. It makes if very hard to read anything on the desktop with a white background and it is extremely noticeable at all times. I have reached out to our internal IT team and they have replaced my Virtual Desktop and the issue persisted. 

I have also used the receiver removal utility multiple times and tried different versions of the workspace application as well as going back to an old receiver with no luck.

This issue is only happening on my windows desktop. It works fine on my MacBook Pro, my IpadPro, and even the HTML5 version on the same windows computer.. It is only through desktop viewer. I will add that I am using an AMD 6900XT in the end device with the latest updated drivers, but I have heard of some issues with AMD endpoints in the past.

I have attached some screenshots as it is very hard to describe. I will also say that currently I am an end user of the product and don't have much power in the way of backend policies, but I am happy to relay any ideas to the helpdesk. I was a Citrix Admin and deployment engineer for nearly 10 years and can't recall ever running into this issue myself with any of my customers.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated

OktaFields.png

CitrixColorissues.png

13 answers to this question

as FYI,

after further digging, the 27.20.x driver versions did not have this issue on our l15 lenovo laptops, any other (30.+) had this issue. I opened a case with both lenovo and citrix. im currently testing CWA 2206 tech preview, which citrix mentioned there are many fixes around graphics with this version, and so far i have not been able to reproduce this behavior anymore.

• Like 1

Hi.
I've got the same (or similar) issue on some Lenovo T14s laptops. They use AMD Ryzen Pro 7 4750U CPUs with integrated graphics.
After a driver upgrade recently, the users got the same issues described here.

So far I've found two workarounds:
Disable hardware acceleration for Citrix Workspace App via registry. This is force enabled by default, even if its not necessary.
Downgrade to an older driver, I testet the driver dated October 25th, 2021 on AMDs website. 

The issue is that these laptops are configured to update any drivers automatically via Lenovo Comercrial Vantage, så its only a temporary solution. And the hw acceleration setting is also reset when they sync with Intune. So we are looking in to disabling this specfically on these laptop models in some way or another, possibly be identifyinig them via WMI in a script.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:59 AM, Geir Sandstad1709158717 said:

Hi.
I've got the same (or similar) issue on some Lenovo T14s laptops. They use AMD Ryzen Pro 7 4750U CPUs with integrated graphics.
After a driver upgrade recently, the users got the same issues described here.

So far I've found two workarounds:
Disable hardware acceleration for Citrix Workspace App via registry. This is force enabled by default, even if its not necessary.
Downgrade to an older driver, I testet the driver dated October 25th, 2021 on AMDs website. 

The issue is that these laptops are configured to update any drivers automatically via Lenovo Comercrial Vantage, så its only a temporary solution. And the hw acceleration setting is also reset when they sync with Intune. So we are looking in to disabling this specfically on these laptop models in some way or another, possibly be identifyinig them via WMI in a script.

How you disale hardware acceleration for Citrix Workspace ?
Registery key I found a link to older client.
Thanks in advance

On 3/7/2022 at 7:21 PM, Sylvain Legare said:

How you disale hardware acceleration for Citrix Workspace ?
Registery key I found a link to older client.
Thanks in advance

Hi.

The easies way is to set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Citrix\ICA Client\Graphics Engine, dword "HWacceleration" to 0, on the client.

Make sure there isn't a GPO or something that forcibly sets that value to 1. This registry value will only be set in registry if its done via GPO or similar, as the default value is "Enabled", aka "1"

Hi, I had the same issue after updating my AMD RX 470 drivers. I tried rolling back to older drivers but it didn't fix the issue in my case.

But what fixed it was modifying the registry as mentioned by Geir.

Please notice, you may not have the complete path in registry, as it was my case, I only had this path:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Citrix\ICA Client\
So, I added the rest -> new key "Graphics Engine", then inside it, new DWORD (32 bits) and name it "HWacceleration", and set it value to 0 (default value anyways)

After that, the issue was immediately fixed for me.

Thank you Garrick and Geir for your contributions and help

On 3/18/2022 at 4:15 PM, Jorge BT said:

Hi, I had the same issue after updating my AMD RX 470 drivers. I tried rolling back to older drivers but it didn't fix the issue in my case.

Please notice, you may not have the complete path in registry, as it was my case, I only had this path:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Citrix\ICA Client\
So, I added the rest -> new key "Graphics Engine", then inside it, new DWORD (32 bits) and name it "HWacceleration", and set it value to 0 (default value anyways)

No problem, happy to help.

I'm actually currently in the middle of a support case with Citrix with this issue. I don't expect this to change this much though, aside from maybe Citrix confirming that this is a driver bug, not a issue with any Citrix Component.
Since my last update here, I've been testing a lot of different things. Newer versions of Citrix Workspace App incl 2203, new VDA versions including 2203 and also the GPU-drivers on the VDIs themselves have been updated in between this as part of regular maintenance. This has made no difference. Lenovo even released a new GPU-driver for the laptops on April 1st (sic), and I hoped that may fix it. No luck there either.

My guess is that this has to go through a long winded road via Lenovo customer support, up to AMD to make them fix it, and back to Lenovo for a new driver release sometime in the future.

On 3/18/2022 at 3:15 PM, Jorge BT said:

Hi, 

Not sure if possible but how would i do this if i only have Citrix Workspace? i do not have Citrix in my policies section on my Regedit but have the same issue as shown at the top.

Tia

Nath

We are also experiencing this issue in our environment. Lenovo thinkpad L15 laptops here with radeon integrated graphics. the issue occurs when the h264/h265 codec kicks in with Citrix workspace app HW acceleration enabled. disabling the HW acceleration on the workpace app the behavior goes away for me as well... However its a workaround not a fix. I have a ticket opened with citrix to show them the behavior, as it only seems to affect workspace app..

We had similar problems since we’ve upgraded to Citrix Virtual Apps & Desktops 2203 LTSR and use Citrix Workspace App for Linux on IGEL Thin Clients and Workspace App for Mac. Citrix Workspace App for Windows wasn’t affected.

Sometimes appears color/contrast blocky issues on the Desktop. It is not known why.

We could solve the issue by changing the Citrix Policy “use video codec for compression” from “use when preferred” to “for the entire screen”.

Maybe this information helps someone.

Kind regards