Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VDA 2109 - CTXUIMON.DLL missing

Joe Robinson

Question

Greetings:

I have an ongoing issue open with Citrix that was due to a problem with WFSHELL crashing.  The fix is a new version of CTXUIMON.DLL.  

I have recently started to test VDA 2109 and found that this DLL no longer is installed.  I was wondering if someone else could confirm -- it used to be installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\System32.  I'm struggling with some problems that have similar symptoms (vda locks up, apps not opening - general weirdness) and it caused me to notice the dll was missing.

4 answers to this question

Joe,

We have been testing VDA 2109 on server 2019 and are seeing a similar WFSHELL crash.  I have been tracking problems with WFSHELL since VDA 2106. 

The last week we have been having problems with explorer.exe crashing ... I believe this might be related to the DLL's moving to a new directory from C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\System32 to a new directory that is not included in the environment variables.  See this article:

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX264843

"The Explorer.exe crash may be caused due to a Missing Entry – “C:\Program Files(x86)\Citrix\System32\” in “Path” Variable under System Environment variables. This lead to the delayed loading of the Citrix Hook – “ctxwsapi64.dll”, which causes the crash of the Explorer."

We have not confirmed this is the cause but this is my theory thus far.

Please share your fix for the WFSHELL issue or the details of where to request the fix. 

The fix I have is actually for 1912LTSR, CU2 and I've been told to keep using it.  However, according to the patch notes, many changes have gone in that impact this DLL and I'm starting to think maybe it's causing more problems than it's fixing...

I'm wondering if making a symlink for C:\Program Files (x86)|Citrix\System32 pointing to C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\HDX\Bin.  If something is really looking in that old folder, it might be a nice band-aid until it gets permanently fixed...

Joe,

No luck fixing the explorer.exe crash caused by 2109 on server 2019.  Tried excluding hooks and adding paths to the dll's.  We also see wfshell.exe crashing several times a day this has been happening since 2106.  We are working with support to try to determine the case of the explorer issue then I will open a new case for wfshell.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.