Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Start Menu / Desktop shortcuts not creating

Mark Norton

Question

Afternoon everyone,

I am in the process of setting up a new LTSR 1912 farm on Server 2019. Staff will be accessing published Desktops and further published and local applications from their Citrix-session. I run Workspace 1912 on the server. I use GPOs to point workspace to a service site on a (new) Storefront server. Storefront is pointing to my new and old (XenApp 6.5) farm. All components are on-premise, same subnet.

Problem 1:

I have set the Workspace GPO to publish shortcuts into a folder on the Desktop as well as the Start Menu. After lots of trial and error I got it to publish the Desktop shortcuts. It needed extra reg settings to lower the Workspace refresh timer - https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX239186.
I still haven't managed to get it to deploy shortcuts to the Start Menu. No pointers in any error logs that I'm aware of (RDSH, StoreFront, Director). Looking at the Workspace settings in the client session I can see the Start Menu option is ticked but greyed out. Screenshots attached. 
Edit: Just did another test and it appears to work as intended for admin-users, not for standard users. Start-Menu is not redirected.

Problem 2:

It's generally publishing all applications available to the user Desktop folder. In my old farm with the service-site residing on Web Interface, only the applications that have the option 'Show on Desktop' enabled are published to the Desktop. Is there a away to achieve the same with the new setup?

Thanks heaps

Workspace_Client.png

Workspace_GPO.png

3 answers to this question

Figured this one out. It was a mixture of Start Menu GPOs preventing the creation of folders as well as some missing registry-values that had to be added under the computer's HKLM\Wow64\Citrix\Dazzle to enforce creation of the shortcuts. Kinda counterintuitive as that's what you'd think the Receiver/Workspace GPOs are there for.

On 10/26/2021 at 3:50 AM, Mark Norton said:

Figured this one out. It was a mixture of Start Menu GPOs preventing the creation of folders as well as some missing registry-values that had to be added under the computer's HKLM\Wow64\Citrix\Dazzle to enforce creation of the shortcuts. Kinda counterintuitive as that's what you'd think the Receiver/Workspace GPOs are there for.

hi, do you have more details on how you fixed it?  
This sounds very much like what we are struggling with right now.

thx

Igor

On 10/14/2022 at 7:44 AM, Igor Engelen1709160702 said:

hi, do you have more details on how you fixed it?  
This sounds very much like what we are struggling with right now.

thx

Igor

I assume he went through this article:

How to configure Desktop or Start Menu shortcuts With Citrix Receiver 4.x

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX201261/how-to-configure-desktop-or-start-menu-shortcuts-with-citrix-receiver-4x