Welcome to our new Citrix community!

PVS 1912 CU3 crashing servers

Martijn Kools

Question

Hi,

Recently upgraded from 1912.2 tot 1912.3, both CVAD & PVS. PVS Server is running 2003 on 2012 R2. Target devices are running 1912.3 on Windows Server 2019. Hypervisor is XenServer 8.2 with PVS Accelerator enabled. No shared storage all local SSD.

The issue begins with the following eventlog entry:

The IO operation at logical block address 0x530ac0 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\00000046) was retried.

Then the next:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation.

Then this:

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: \\?\Volume{76648993-17e2-4ba8-a1c6-08efbfab8d8c}, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume4.
(A device which does not exist was specified.)

Then this:

{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Then I get bnistack error 84 and CVhdMp event 129. There is no description for these events (not found).

Then the server crashes. The whole process takes 3-4 minutes. Server can't be pinged any longer. Only the mouse cursor is working on the console which just shows an empty screen. Rebooting fixes the issue but not for long. It happens totally random, at night, during the day, with or without users on the server.

So I reverted PVS to 1912 CU2 and the issue is gone.

Any idea what might cause this?

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Try to delete and recreate the vdisk version with the update.
Potentially some issue with the install, or some corruption introduced when promoting from mainteance to production.

Also try the steps without upgrading the PVS target device software->create version, boot in mainteance, shutdown and promote.

On 9/21/2021 at 10:04 AM, Kelan Rowe said:

Try to delete and recreate the vdisk version with the update.
Potentially some issue with the install, or some corruption introduced when promoting from mainteance to production.

Also try the steps without upgrading the PVS target device software->create version, boot in mainteance, shutdown and promote.

Thanks for the answer, I'm happy to say the issue is resolved and this had nothing to do with PVS at all.

With every update I create a new vdisk from scratch, it auto installs all the required software etc. but the issue was that the server was installing with an IP with no access to internet and therefor the Windows Defender signatures couldn't be updated which caused these issues with fslogix profiles and a lot of server crashes.

I've recreated the vdisk with an internet IP and let it download and install windows updates from the internet and now everything is smooth and stable, with CU3.

So I apologize for falsly accusing Citrix of crashing my servers :)

Thanks!