Jump to content
Welcome to our new Citrix community!
  • 6

Citrix Workspace 2018 will not allow more than 1 app to run on Big Sur 11.6


John Chybinski

Question

When using workspace 2018 (21.08.0.15 2108) on Mac OS 11.6, I can launch the first app fine, but any after that loads the Citrix viewer but the app does not appear. Nice the OS was just updated I'm unsure if this is a known issue or if a fix will happen soon, as it has now made our remote users that have installed 11.6 usable to work as they  were able on 11.5.x

 

Thanks in advance - John

Link to comment

17 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

I have found a temporary workaround, you can open the first app and then quit the Citrix Receiver disconnecting the session, then open the second app and Citrix will restore the previous session with the first app and the second app. You can continue with this procedure with all the necessary applications. I hope Citrix is fixing this issue in the near future because this is very uncomfortable but at least it works.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0

Hi John,

 

I'm having the same issue: after installing the 11.6 update to Big Sur, I can no successfully launch more than one app at a time on my mac. Very strangely, on my secondary mac, I also updated to 11.6 and things work fine. My primary is newer by a couple of years, but otherwise I keep them both up-to-date with updates.

 

One difference that does come to mind - I had an open session with an app running when I started the 11.6 update on my primary. Before it came time to reboot to complete the install, I disconnected my session so I could reconnect to it later. I wonder if there's some caching issue at Citrix cloud.

 

I'd be curious to know -  did you have an active session open on your mac whilst you were running the update? If so, did you disconnect or sign out before the update started a reboot?

 

A few points:

 

* using the same domain logon, I can launch multiple apps on my secondary mac without problem

* on my primary, I've tried different browsers (safari, firefox, chrome) and have the same issue regardless. I even created a new local user to be sure it wasn't a local profile issue and still had the same problem. I also tried a different domain account and have the same issue.

* on my primary, I tried changing my local IP and hostname, just in case there was some Citrix cloud caching around those

* I've uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled Citrix Workspace and tried multiple versions (I had been on the most recent, but tried some older versions, too)

 

My symptoms:

 

* I can launch the first app just fine, which starts Citrix Viewer and displays the app name in the list of running apps when I right-click the Viewer shortcut

* When I try to launch the second app, it opens a new Citrix Viewer (normally this second app should run under the first Citrix Viewer) and that's as far as it gets. If I right-click, no app shows. If I check About Citrix Viewer, it shows it's not connected to a server

* If I close the first app, the first Citrix Viewer closes, but the second stays open.

* If I then try launching a different app, it opens just fine under the remaining Citrix Viewer app and checking About Citrix Viewer now shows it connected to a server

* I can rinse and repeat this - try launching a second app, get another Viewer; close the first app, which closes the first viewer, leaving the second; try another app, and it runs under that remaining viewer

 

We have logged a support ticket with Citrix on this.

 

Link to comment
  • 0

Same problem here. Often when Apple releases a new MacOS we are running in incompatibilities. Very anoying. 

Your workaround is a nice trick I also found out to help myself. Another workaround is to launch windows explorer as first app and then type in the address bar: "outlook", "winword", "excel", etc. to launch your applicatons.

Link to comment
  • 0

Thanks for posting that, Tysontha. I'm having trouble following it, though.

 

The article seems to suggest this is something a user disables after signing in themselves using their browser (rather than something a sysadmin edits for all users), yet I don't see the same options when I sign in and click on Account Settings (and to get to Account Settings in the first place, I click a cog rather than a circle with a letter). Instead, under Advanced I just see Activate Citrix Receiver and Install Citrix Receiver as options. See screenshots here: https://imgur.com/a/g4uq3ya

 

I tried the 'Install Citrix Receiver' option, as I recall it takes me to a page with the 'already installed' link described in step 4; but I need to click a button to 'detect receiver' first and the page that then loads with the 'already installed' link immediately refreshes and takes me back to my list of apps. So I never get the chance to click it.

 

Were you able to get the workaround to work? Do you have an idea what I might be missing?

 

On my support call with Citrix today -- it was little more than to verbally confirm the issue and to arrange a follow-up call tomorrow morning. So no real progress on that side yet.

 

Edit: actually I was able to click the 'already installed' link. I just needed to be extra fast and click like mad, as the page refreshes in less than a second. It wasn't even clear that I clicked on it, but it does seem to have worked and I can now run multiple applications. Despite the article only referencing Chrome and Safari, this is working with Firefox, too. I do hope they can work out the issue with the Workspace app itself, as this really requires dextrous clicking!

Edited by JarradR
Got the workaround to work
Link to comment
  • 0
17 minutes ago, Jarrad Richards said:

Thanks for posting that, Tysontha. I'm having trouble following it, though.

 

The article seems to suggest this is something a user disables after signing in themselves using their browser (rather than something a sysadmin edits for all users), yet I don't see the same options when I sign in and click on Account Settings (and to get to Account Settings in the first place, I click a cog rather than a circle with a letter). Instead, under Advanced I just see Activate Citrix Receiver and Install Citrix Receiver as options. See screenshots here: https://imgur.com/a/g4uq3ya

 

I tried the 'Install Citrix Receiver' option, as I recall it takes me to a page with the 'already installed' link described in step 4; but I need to click a button to 'detect receiver' first and the page that then loads with the 'already installed' link immediately refreshes and takes me back to my list of apps. So I never get the chance to click it.

 

Were you able to get the workaround to work? Do you have an idea what I might be missing?

 

On my support call with Citrix today -- it was little more than to verbally confirm the issue and to arrange a follow-up call tomorrow morning. So no real progress on that side yet.

 

Edit: actually I was able to click the link. I just needed to be extra fast, as the page refreshes in less than a second. It wasn't even clear that I clicked on it, but it does seem to have worked and I can now run multiple applications. Despite the article only referencing Chrome and Safari, this is working with Firefox, too. I do hope they can work out the issue with the Workspace app itself, as this really requires dextrous clicking!

I think the page looks different based on what version of StoreFront you have installed. But good you got yours working, another option would be to Fresh Firefox (or similar for other browser). So you are basically removing any association with Workspace App and ICA file and then it should prompt it during the login process to detect Receiver on your machine. (where you hit already installed). So you are basically then downloading the ICA file to your downloads folder and launching it that way.  

Link to comment
  • 0

While I was able to get the fix to work in Firefox,  I'm now trying to get it to work in Safari so I can prepare advice to send out to our users, but can't get it to work fully.

 

Following the instructions here (i.e., clear history and cache) puts Safari at the stage where the issue presents itself, so I can begin testing the fix.

 

When I get to the 'detect receiver' stage of the fix, I get the normal Safari pop-up that asks, 'Do you want to allow this page to open “Citrix Workspace Launcher”?'. If I allow and spam click the 'Already installed' link, the issue is resolved, but the ica files stop being automatically opened -- they need to be manually opened in Downloads.

 

If I go back to the 'detect receiver' stage, I again get the, 'Do you want to allow this page to open “Citrix Workspace Launcher”?' pop-up.  If I allow without spam-clicking 'already installed', the ica files are now automatically opened, but the issue is back.

 

If I go back to the 'detect receiver' stage, I again get the, 'Do you want to allow this page to open “Citrix Workspace Launcher”?' pop-up.  If I cancel and then click 'already installed', the issue is resolved, but the ica files stop being automatically opened -- they need to be manually opened in Downloads.

 

So I seem to be in a bit of a loop with Safari. I can get the issue fixed, but only by stopping ica files from being opened automatically. As a temp workaround, that's ok; but not as a fix.

 

Has anyone managed to apply the fix whilst allowing Safari to still auto-open ica files?

 

Unfortunately, I didn't receive the scheduled call from Citrix support this morning.

Link to comment
  • 0

Citrix posted a Mac beta last night, SEP 15th. It says it's tested with 11.6 beta. I'm sure you'll all be shocked the users I tested this on fixed nothing.

 

https://www.citrix.com/downloads/workspace-app/betas-and-tech-previews/workspace-app-tp-for-mac.html

 

Why is Citrix so fragile? I never expect any issues what patches/upgrades accept for Citrix! it's always like rolling the dice. Let's not even get started on the Linux client.

Link to comment
  • 0

Thanks for posting that, Tejus. Installing that hotfix does fix Workspace with Safari and Chrome and Firefox are continuing to work ok, too.

 

nb - I had tried the beta that had been linked to above, and installing the hotfix didn't seem to replace it. I had to first uninstall the beta before installing the hotfix took affect (or perhaps just a reboot after installing the hotfix was needed).

Link to comment
  • 0
5 hours ago, Jarrad Richards said:

Thanks for posting that, Tejus. Installing that hotfix does fix Workspace with Safari and Chrome and Firefox are continuing to work ok, too.

 

nb - I had tried the beta that had been linked to above, and installing the hotfix didn't seem to replace it. I had to first uninstall the beta before installing the hotfix took affect (or perhaps just a reboot after installing the hotfix was needed).

Hi @Jarrad Richards, yes you will need to uninstall beta before installing Hotfix. This is because of the versioning as version of Beta build is higher than that of Hotfix. 

Link to comment
  • 0
56 minutes ago, Arpit Vijayvargiya said:

Hi @Jarrad Richards, yes you will need to uninstall beta before installing Hotfix. This is because of the versioning as version of Beta build is higher than that of Hotfix. 

 

Understood. I just thought I'd flag that in this thread, as others following it might've installed the beta and been confused like me (I initially thought the hotfix didn't work untill I double checked the version of Citrix Vewier that was running and realised I was still running the beta).

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...