Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows Search Slow to Start on Pooled - Non persistent VDI

Kent Bratt1709154576

Question

We have an issue with the Windows Search service on our non persistend VDIs. 

When the VDI Starts up, the search service takes up to 10 minutes to finish starting. It is stuck on "Starting" for about 10 minutes. 

This is causing issues for us because users aren't able to logon until the service is started, I believe it is because we use FSLogix with Search roaming enabled. 

The current workaround is to power on several VDIs ahead of time and set the citrix policys to prefer VDIs that have been powered on longer first. 

We are using App Layering to build our images also.

Anyone else seeing this? 

I've tried rebuilding my Index prior to publishing an image, but still seem to struggle with the Windows search service startup time. 

Do I need to clear the index in each App Layer? 

7 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Kent Bratt1709154576 said:

We have an issue with the Windows Search service on our non persistend VDIs. 

When the VDI Starts up, the search service takes up to 10 minutes to finish starting. It is stuck on "Starting" for about 10 minutes. 

This is causing issues for us because users aren't able to logon until the service is started, I believe it is because we use FSLogix with Search roaming enabled. 

The current workaround is to power on several VDIs ahead of time and set the citrix policys to prefer VDIs that have been powered on longer first. 

We are using App Layering to build our images also.

Anyone else seeing this? 

I've tried rebuilding my Index prior to publishing an image, but still seem to struggle with the Windows search service startup time. 

Do I need to clear the index in each App Layer? 

Have you tried disabling the FSLogix search index roaming?

I did do that a 

10 minutes ago, Kasper Johansen1709159522 said:

Have you tried disabling the FSLogix search index roaming?

I have disabled that via Policy in testing, and that sped up the logon, but we also lose the search roaming then which isn't desirable. 

With the index roaming disabled, The Search Service still is stuck "Starting" for an extended period, but it allows the user to logon without getting stuck at a black screen until the search service starts. 

12 minutes ago, Kasper Johansen1709159522 said:

Did you follow the recommendations in the docs?

Roam the windows search database with Profile Container - FSLogix | Microsoft Docs

Did you trying resetting the users search index?

FSLogix FRX Command-Line Reference - FSLogix | Microsoft Docs

Yes, I followed the Microsoft FSLogix recommendations for configuration. 

It's a basic setup, we are configuring this for Windows 10 Single Session so I don't believe resetting the users search index applies. 

The issue happens prior to anyone logging onto the VDI, so I don't think it's related to a specific user Search either. 

I can monitor the search service remotely once a machine starts up, and it sits on "Starting" for up to 10 minutes. If a user tries to logon to the Machine prior to this service being "started" the user sees a Black Screen until the Search Service is finished starting. 

3 minutes ago, Kasper Johansen1709159522 said:

Hmm...I might be related to something with App Layering, I have never heard of this kind of behavior before.

Where do you enable the Windows Search service, in the OS layer?

Yea it certainly feels like something is getting screwed up with the index and one of the app layers.  The Search Service is enabled in the OS Layer. 

These event logs show up shortly after the service starts

"Windows search service failed to process the list of included and excluded locations with the error <30 0x8004005, "file:///c:\RandomCharacters\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\">

"Windows search service failed to process the list of included and excluded locations with the error <30 0x8004005, "file:///c:\RandomCharacters\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\Visio Content\">

I have reset the search index again in my Template machine and let it re-index. I am testing updating the catalog again. 

Not ideal as I don't like booting up my template machine, but will hopefully provide better guidance. May need to reset the index in each layer, or start the process of finding the layer with the issue. 

Thanks again for the assistance.