Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Setting a rate or bandwidth limit on a load balancing virtual server?

resyrt erwtret

Hello

Im intrested in setting a bandwidth limit on a load balancing virtual server.

From the documentation, ive seen you can set this per service but if there are several LBs using the same service, it will affect all of them.

I also understand that AppExpert can (somehow) do it but it only works for certain types of traffic and LBs.

What options do I have?

Thank you.

On the LB vserver, under protection methods (in gui), you can set the spillover limit from none to bandwidth and then the limit.

This puts the limit on the total bandwidth on this vserver and not the services behind it.

Upon limit being reached, it will either queue new connections (which might time out) or you specify a spillover method and allow traffic to hit the backup vserver OR the redirect url.

Section here explains spillover and the conversion from spillover settings to spillover policies if you prefer:  https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-adc/current-release/load-balancing/load-balancing-protect-configuration/configure-spillover.html

On 9/10/2021 at 3:42 PM, Rhonda Rowland1709152125 said:

On the LB vserver, under protection methods (in gui), you can set the spillover limit from none to bandwidth and then the limit.

This puts the limit on the total bandwidth on this vserver and not the services behind it.

Upon limit being reached, it will either queue new connections (which might time out) or you specify a spillover method and allow traffic to hit the backup vserver OR the redirect url.

Section here explains spillover and the conversion from spillover settings to spillover policies if you prefer:  https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-adc/current-release/load-balancing/load-balancing-protect-configuration/configure-spillover.html

This is a method we tried....

Basically, this is a MSSQL LB, and we are trying to limit the traffic but we are not seeing any hits when it comes to testing it out (we even set it at 1)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see your protection method settings?  No spillover or backup vserver specified.  If you are saying the backup method doesn't work, then what settings/backup method do you have configured?   You also have no primary or backup vserver identified.

Even with a connection limit of 1, testing can be tricky as sql statements like web requests are "bursty/discrete" transactions and not continuous.  You would need to generate requests from different "clients" and either have queries that take longer to resolve to have multiple sustained requests or connections or otherwise generate a decent amount of repeating requests for a small volume test.  Then look at the service hits on both the primary and intended secondary vserver to see when failover occurs. 

But can't see if anything is wrong, without knowing which setting you tried. 

4 hours ago, Rhonda Rowland1709152125 said:

I don't see your protection method settings?  No spillover or backup vserver specified.  If you are saying the backup method doesn't work, then what settings/backup method do you have configured?   You also have no primary or backup vserver identified.

Even with a connection limit of 1, testing can be tricky as sql statements like web requests are "bursty/discrete" transactions and not continuous.  You would need to generate requests from different "clients" and either have queries that take longer to resolve to have multiple sustained requests or connections or otherwise generate a decent amount of repeating requests for a small volume test.  Then look at the service hits on both the primary and intended secondary vserver to see when failover occurs. 

But can't see if anything is wrong, without knowing which setting you tried. 

My apoligies. Its removed because like I mentioned, there was no hits and this is production.

That being said, these were the settings:

image.thumb.png.bf091437e58c471179b2c2bad6ae6d51.png

We just wanted to limit it to that. No drop, no go to another backup server, etc.