Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Has anyone seen Cryptographic Service Provider errors when signing documents? 

Jimmy Raborn

Question

Has anyone seen Cryptographic Service Provider errors when signing documents?  This doesn't occur on our physical computers. It does occur on Win10 1909, Win10 20h2 and Server 2016. It occurs on dedicated VMs and on provisioned VMs using UPM. It doesn't appear to be all users. Some users never see it, some users see it once and then can sign for documents for the rest of their session, some users see it every time they attempt to sign and therefore cannot sign. 

We see the problem when signing in Word, Acrobat and Reader.

Two errors occur when signing: 

1. ActivClient Error Found: Problem Encountered: A problem has occurred while attempting to reconnect to the smart card. Remove and re-insert the smart card. If the problem persists, contact your help desk operator. 

2. Error Information: Error encountered while signing: The Windows Cryptographic Service Provider reported an error: The smart card had been reset, so any shared state information is invalid. Error Code: 2148532328 

We are only seeing this on our Citrix clients. 

Our environment is Citrix XenDesktop 7.15 LTSR CU7

VDA:  Recently upgraded to Apps and Desktops 7 12912 LTSR CU2 as testing for this problem.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

8 answers to this question

I would love to give you a solution. We tried everything from updating ActivClient, Windows, making sure the trusted root certificates were up to date, updating computer certificates, anything we thought of we threw at it. We had Citrix, Adobe, our HID Global VAR and Microsoft support tickets opened for the problem. Nobody did anything but point fingers. We saw this behavior for a couple of months and then it just went away. I want to blame Windows patches. I have no hard evidence to point to them but I'm going with the usual suspect.  Are you all patched up?

We see this problem come and go. My team has not been able to find a reliable cause or solution for it. I had a Citrix case open at one time, the engineers pointed fingers at HID ActivClient. We opened a HID support request through our VAR, they pointed fingers at Citrix and Microsoft. We opened a ticket with Microsoft, they pointed fingers at HID and Citrix. It was a complete bust and wasted a lot of time.   

If you can find ANY helpful information about this, please update this post with it. 

We seem to see it most frequently with USAccess HSPD12 badge holders but it's not 100%. 

On 11/6/2023 at 6:41 AM, Jimmy Raborn said:

We see this problem come and go. My team has not been able to find a reliable cause or solution for it. I had a Citrix case open at one time, the engineers pointed fingers at HID ActivClient. We opened a HID support request through our VAR, they pointed fingers at Citrix and Microsoft. We opened a ticket with Microsoft, they pointed fingers at HID and Citrix. It was a complete bust and wasted a lot of time.   

If you can find ANY helpful information about this, please update this post with it. 

We seem to see it most frequently with USAccess HSPD12 badge holders but it's not 100%. 

Installing Activclient on the endpoint seems to fix the problem.