Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Provisioning service - TCP Offload?

Bit-101

Question

Before I do some changes, I must ask a question so everything är clear.

Citrix KB says here and there that "DisableTaskOffload is required"

My question is:

a) Is Task Offload = TCP offload

On PVS servers can this be done through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

b) Obsolete

c) And are there somethings more to do or check?

Cant find any kB from Citrix who is "crystal clear" here

Really appreciate your answer

PVS 7.1

XD 7.6

Windows server 2012 R2

:5_smiley:

4 answers to this question

This article mentions some behaviours which have been resolved by putting in place "DisableTaskOffload".
https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX117491

If you do not have any specific problem you are fixing, or trying to address, you may not observe any difference.

Hopefully you have something in mind which is not working as you like, so its possible to test before and afterwards.

Just a quick note also, the product versions are somewhat dated, PVS 7.1 is EOL a good while now.

If available to you, updating both servers and targets to 7.15 Cu8 or 1912 Cu3 would be recommended.

Yes it´s an old Citrix Environment with Hypervisor XenServer 6.2 an

I am also surprised that such an old solution still remains with many companies

Thanks for your answer.

Now w e are going to phase it out. The problem is that a very large numbers of users are totally
depending of this old solution with business critical systems.

But for now bad things happends - one third of of the farm hungs on reboot for about 20-30 minutes.

So I am forced to make the old Citrix enviroment/solution work until we have migrated over to the new solution

My question stil remains about "DisableTaskOffload" - please see my question:

a) Is Task Offload = TCP offload

On PVS servers can this be done through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

b) I have for about 22 vDisks - (XenApp servers) Should I do the same on every vDisks in private mode?

c) And are there somethings more to do or check?

As you can se Citrix only refer to: "DisableTaskOffload is required"

It´s an general and ambiguous description.

My question is what to disable - in crystal clear text. Because there is a lot of parameters

to disable under network settings.

DisableTaskOffload is a DWORD entry.
As outlined in the KB article, it would be created in key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

It is described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/using-registry-values-to-enable-and-disable-task-offloading
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP\Parameters\DisableTaskOffload
Setting this value to one disables all of the task offloads from the TCP/IP transport. Setting this value to zero enables all of the task offloads.