Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Weird OneDrive upgrade issues (multiple builds showing in C:\Program Files (x86))

Nick Panaccio

Question

Has anyone had issues with upgrading OneDrive in the OS layer, where you find multiple versions of it located in C:\Program Files (x86) in your compiled image? For example, let's say I do this:

1. OS Layer 1.0: Install OneDrive 21.119.x
  2. Platform Layer 1.0: Build as normal; no changes to OneDrive
  3. Compile image v1.0 with OS Layer 1.0
  4. OS Layer 1.1: Install OneDrive 21.150.x
  5. Compile image v2.0 with OS Layer 1.1

Booting into the image, I will see folders for both versions of OneDrive. In Apps and Features, it shows 21.119.x as being installed, and that is the build of OneDrive.exe that is running. All of the OneDrive tasks, etc. that control automatic updates are disabled in the image, so I have no idea why this is happening. The only thing I can think of is that when you build your Platform layer, it timestamps a few files in the OneDrive folder, which is what I noticed. And perhaps that is preventing the upgraded version in the OS layer from working properly? I'm certainly not going to update my Platform layer after a OneDrive update, because that's absurd.

8 answers to this question

Hey Nick,

For a file, folder or registry to get pulled into any layer when packaging it has to be opened for write.  So to get the files/folder in your platform layer something had to update them.  To know fi that is the case use something like filezilla to grab the platform layer out of your appliance and mount it on a non app layering machine and look in it to see what folders and files you have.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Hey Nick,

For a file, folder or registry to get pulled into any layer when packaging it has to be opened for write.  So to get the files/folder in your platform layer something had to update them.  To know fi that is the case use something like filezilla to grab the platform layer out of your appliance and mount it on a non app layering machine and look in it to see what folders and files you have.

Ah, I forgot about grabbing the layers out of the appliance to look at it. What's the easiest way to match a file to a layer once I can into the appliance's storage?

As usual, thanks again, Rob. I have no idea how the hell it happened, but in my current Platform layer, the entire C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft OneDrive folder was, in fact, in there. I had other issues with some OS layers recently, and wound up deleting 3 of those versions (one being the version used to create that Platform layer), and then recreating them. I just checked my latest Platform layer, and the OneDrive stuff is not present, thankfully.