Welcome to our new Citrix community!

[SOLVED] BSOD entryprotect.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Question

Hello,

For months I have been getting BSOD's on my computer. Roughly every 2 weeks. I finally decided to find a solution. Funny enough the culprit seems to be a component of Citrix Workspace. I downloaded and installed WhoCrashed application to analyze the Windows 10 crash dumps.

What is happening:

• I'm getting Windows 10 BSOD - DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused by entryprotect.sys (0xFFFFF8013E0E384D).

When is it happening:

• Usually when starting an application while NOT being connected to remote desktop. I'm casually using my computer. Starting an application and suddenly a BSOD. It's always related to entryprotect.sys.

Steps taken to fix the problem:

• Tried killing all the Citrix Workspace processes while not connected to remote desktop (no success)
  • Tried updating all the drivers to the latest version (no success)
  • Windows 10 is always updated to the latest available version (no success)

Computer spec. and software version:

• Citrix Workspace version: 21.5.0.48(2015)
  • Citrix HDX RealTime Media Engine version: 2.9.0
  • Windows version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19043
  • Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., ROG ZENITH EXTREME
  • CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16-Core Processor 8664, level: 23
  • RAM: 34226442240 bytes (31.9GB)
  • GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti

I'm not running any 3rd party anti-virus software. The only one I use is Windows Defender.

Is there any additional information you might need to assist me? 

On Sun 8/22/2021 10:41:45 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: entryprotect.sys (0xFFFFF8013E0E384D)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFCC8F2F1D6AA8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8013E0E384D)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\entryprotect.sys
product: AppProtection
company: Citrix Systems, Inc.
description: AppProtection
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: entryprotect.sys (AppProtection, Citrix Systems, Inc.).
Google query: entryprotect.sys Citrix Systems, Inc. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

3 answers to this question

Hello,

I'm very sorry for late reply. 

It seems in my case it might have been hardware-related. I'm not 100% positive, but the problem is solved.

I'm running G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4, 4x8GB, 3200MHz, CL14 (F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR) memory in quad-channel. This exact model of memory is present on QVL for my motherboard. I was using the default settings recommended by my motherboard, so 3200 MHz with 14-14-14-34 timings at 1.35V. I could run memory torture tests for days with those settings, without any issues. The only problem were those occasional BSODs.

I decided to manually change the settings to 3000 MHz with 16-16-16-32 timings and I never got a BSOD since. My computer is running almost 24/7 and is rock-stable.

I'm posting my solution here, since it might help someone in the future.

Best regards,

Bartosz