Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Printer Drivers in Layers (specifically MFPs)

Matthew Weiner

Question

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if they have maybe they've found a way around it.  It seems like after creating a layer if you go to add a new version the registry permissions are a bit messed up and so if I create a layer with my Canon MFP drivers in it, then go to add a new version to add another printer or change it, the drivers won't install and it seems to come down to a registry permission problem.  I spent almost four hours yesterday trying to get another MFP installed and the driver install keeps failing, yet if I install the same driver in a fresh layer it will work.  However it will then collide with the existing MFPs because the instances are numbered in the registry so that isn't an option either.

The only solution I have found is to create a layer, install all the MFPs at once, and if I need to add a new MFP or change an existing one I have to throw out the entire layer and start again, adding all the MFPs back in each time.  Using a prerequisite layer results in the same problem, the drivers won't install.

I'm hoping someone has a solution beause while my way works, it's super inconvenient.

9 answers to this question

It is not true that drivers need to be installed in the OS layer.  In App Layering we merge drivers from different layers and we recreate the Windows driver store during the BIC process.  Generally we recommend that any Microsoft driver that would be updated using windows updates be installed in the OS layer so that the driver will get updated when you patch the OS layer.  Of course you can install drivers in the OS layer as long as you want all machines to get that driver.

Rob

What we do:

1. We use pnputil to export the drivers and delete them from any APP layer.

2. We have one layer, where we store (not install !) the driver files in a self defined subdirectory.

3. After image creation we install all drivers from that subdirectory via pnputil using a script and than publish that image.

Advantage:

- easy to handle driver updates

- APP layers that would normally come with drivers will still work elastically

On 8/30/2021 at 11:01 AM, terranovashipping said:

In which layer you are installing those drivers?

Application Layer? OS? Platform?

I'm not sure why I received precisely zero email alerts that someboy replied to this.  To answer your question in an applicaiton layer.  We have a core OS layer that services all our images and we "customize" on top of that via application layers.  I can get printing and faxing to work, but not scanning.  If I install all these on the OS layer we'll have all these MFPs available across our entire install base.

The issue is the network scanner driver isn't a typical PNP device, you have to run setup and it installs a whole bunch of custom registry keys and such to set up the driver.  You can't use a standard script or plug and play utility to do so.

Some scanner drivers like fujitsu scanners allow you to just install the drivers without the scanner present on the system.   Some like AmbirScan have to see every version of scanner that you install a driver for.  For the later, you will need to actually add you packaging machine into a catalog and delivery group so that the vda software is installed to get the usb passthrough to work.  You can create a packaging platform layer and install the VDA, then add you packaging machine to the network and an existing machine catalog.  Then attach each scanner that needs to be "seen" and install the drivers.  At the end remember to remove the machine from the domain before finalizing.

These are network scanners, not USB, so I don't have to worry about that part.  The issue seems to stem from the fact Canon creates dozens of registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System when installing a network scanner (which does not appear in Device Manager so I cannot do this manually at all and have to rely on their setup) but some of the keys in the tree become unwritable during the layer prep and I lose my own security rights to it.

I even used PSExec from sysinternals to attempt to run the setup as system to see if that'd work, it didn't.

I elected to open a case, this looks like something I cannot resolve myself or if I can it's extremely impractical and cumbersome.  I can get drivers from other vendors like Konica Minolta or HP in fine, it's just this Canon network scanner driver that is incredibly complex and writes a ton of stuff to the registry in various locations.