Welcome to our new Citrix community!

MS Teams CVDA Intergation - Update Maintenance

shocko

Question

We have run a POC of MS Teams integration with Citrix XenApp LTSR 1912. Its worked very well generally. The MS Teams desktop app updates ~ every 2 weeks and on destops it does this automatically.  In XenApp however, we deploy using the system wide instalaltion so that it does not update at all automatically and does not deploy into each users profile. As such, I am wondering how people out there are managing the updates to this integration. Are you doing pilot groups every two weeks or simply roll it out at a slower frequnecy than the desktops etc. ?

4 answers to this question

Something to be aware of is that the VDI version of Teams is updated by Microsoft at a slower pace than their regular desktop line.   They also don't publish any information whatsoever on what has changed, or even that it has changed.   So I  periodically download it from MS and then compare the downloaded file with the one I got last time, and see if it's been updated.  Often it's 2-3 months between updates though.

If there is a new one, I just install it alongside all the other new vulnerability patches and push it out on our scheduled maintenance windows, once a month.   Remember to remove the old one first though, and to install it using both the alluser and allusers switches as per MS documentation.

• Like 2

Thanks. is there as specific installer though for the VDI version? Its seem to be the same one just installed with different options on VDI from here. Does installing it in VDI mode (AllUser=1 and AllUsers=1) change this update cadence as you have outlined? The downloads all seem to be the machine wide intaller. 

The one you are downloading is correct, and is the VDI version.   The Alluser and Allusers switches don't change the update cadence, they just make it machine wide, and VDI-focussed.   It doesn't necessarily change one month to the next, so I guess the updates are bigger jumps each time whereas the desktop version is updated every few days/weeks.

Ah yes, I understand now. The MSI that you download for the system wide installer is released at a certain cadence. If you install it without ALLUSER=1 though the version  might update at a more rapid cadence as it's the install driving the update via the MS Teams update process rather than the admin downloading a new MSI to install.