Welcome to our new Citrix community!

clickonce application in user layer profile no longer working after connecting to upgraded desktop

Corey Stewart

Question

A ClickOnce application (Deltek Vision) that was working in our production environment is no longer working once the user layer connects to machines with upgraded OS layer and Platform Layer.  

We are upgrading our production OS layer from 1809 to 20H2.  New Platform Layers were created from this upgraded layer.  We began testing existing App Layers  in a test environment upgraded with these 20H2 version OS and PL layers. During testing we found that the ClicnOnce  application stopped working once a user connected to the upgraded test VMs.  Thinking that maybe there was an app layer conflict, a base image with only OS and PL was created and we started over with a user layer that was known working in the production environment.  It was found that the ClickOnce app still failed once the user connected to the upgraded test VMs.  Normally, we would delete the user's appdata/local/app/2.0 folder and relaunch the app and it would reinstall, but that is not working in the "upgraded" user layer.  I say "upgraded because it does seem that there are some structural changes being made to the user layer once they connect to the 20H2 test VM.   If we wipe the user layer and start fresh with a new user layer/profile in the test environment, the ClickOnce app will install correctly.  However, with over 400 users, it is not my first choice to reset everyone's layer/profile.

We are using App Layering 2106 , XA?XD 7.15 CU3 , and VDA 1912 LTSR in virtual desktops. 

The user layers are full user layers.

I have tested the upgraded OS and Platform Layers separately and neither exhibit any problem with the app.

I have created a new image without app layering or user layers and the base image has no issues running the app.  

This issue only seems to be happening with upgraded user layers (from 1809 to 20H2)

I'd be grateful for any suggestions on how to proceed to troubleshoot.

Launching the app via a URL and IE ( I know)  starts the process.

Thanks,

image.thumb.png.b6688ed1e70759b5419648d48f1794c2.png

Capture.thumb.PNG.af67e2197919b802d94807fd7309fec8.PNG

Below is the "Details..." log generated by the app. 

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
    Windows             : 10.0.19042.0 (Win32NT)
    Common Language Runtime     : 4.0.30319.42000
    System.Deployment.dll         : 4.8.4270.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    clr.dll             : 4.8.4300.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    dfdll.dll             : 4.8.4270.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    dfshim.dll             : 10.0.19041.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800)

SOURCES
    Deployment url            : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ERROR SUMMARY
    Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
        + The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
    No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
    There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
    * [8/2/2021 12:50:20 PM] : Activation of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
    Following errors were detected during this operation.
    * [8/2/2021 12:50:20 PM] System.IO.FileNotFoundException
        - The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
        - Source: System.Deployment
        - Stack trace:
            at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore(UInt32 Flags, IntPtr hToken, Guid& riid)
            at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore()
            at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore..ctor(ComponentStoreType storeType, SubscriptionStore subStore)
            at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore..ctor(String deployPath, String tempPath, ComponentStoreType storeType)
            at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.get_CurrentUser()
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.UninstallApplicationAndRedirectActivation(Boolean& isShortCut, Uri& deploymentProviderUri, String textualSubId, Uri activationUri)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.CleanApplicationReInstall(Boolean isShortcut, Uri deploymentUri, Uri activationUri, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String textualSubId, String errorPageUrl, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, String shortcutFilePath)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
    No transaction information is available.

2 answers to this question

Looks like that fix was released in version 21.7 released yesterday, 8/19/2021.  I updated my ELM to this release and republished images. I  can confirm it did fix  the ClickOnce issue. 

Too bad it is now causing my compositing offload to fail.  Had to uncheck Compositing Offload in order to keep images from failing to build due to "unspecified error".  I'll have to troubleshoot that later.