Welcome to our new Citrix community!

MCS Snapshot Management in vSphere

Jeremiah Alger

Question

I was hoping someone could clarify/confirm something I was told when we moved from using on-prem PVS to Citrix Cloud using MCS. I was told that I was not able to to delete old snapshots because the current state is reliant on the whole chain. Am I able to delete the old snapshots in the red box? If not, what does everyone else do to manage snapshots? I am not out of space, but I don't have unlimited storage either. The screenshot I provided is for my XenDesk master image on vSphere. I have two other master images with the same amount of snapshots that I would like to prune. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

MCS Snapshots in vSphere.png

5 answers to this question

On 7/21/2021 at 6:48 AM, James Kindon said:

You can delete those snapshots. MCS clones the required snapshot, and then effectively links VM's from the clone (there are alternate ways this is handled, but as far as how it relates to snapshots in vsphere, this is the basics)

This is great news and honestly what I thought was the case , but have been told differently from the engineer who assisted with our migration. Not going to lie, I am nervous to delete them because of his warning. Any idea why he would think that deleting them would "break the chain" and cause issues? 

On 7/22/2021 at 8:10 AM, James Kindon said:

Can't comment on why that would be the sort of info he provided, but if MCS wouldn't allow us to delete snapshots, no vsphere admin in the world would allow its use :)

You will be fine

Just wanted to say thank you. I finally got around to cleaning things up and everything is running just fine, plus we are saving a ton of space. Much appreciated!!!