Welcome to our new Citrix community!

PVS 7.15 CU4 Master target device fails to boot

Young Choh

Question

Greetings!

Hoping to find someone who have had the experience with issue that I'm having and know how to resolve or at least know what's causing it.

I've read similar posts but couldn't resolve my issue unfortunately. 

First off, here is my environment setting: 

Citrix PVS: 7.15 LTSR CU4 (holds the .vhdx)

VDA: v7.15.5000.855

VMware ESXi 6.7 U2 VM version 15

VMware Tool not running

Virtual Device Node IDE0 : IDE(0:0)

My master target device failed to boot after the MS monthly patch. It stuck from the Windows logo screen, no spinning wheel underneath it - few minutes later it recycles back to VMWare screen and keep loops back. The specific error message that I see after multiple loopback is :

File: \windows\system32\winload.efi

Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

winload.efi_missing_error.thumb.png.2e375327f413734fe5f1668eb99a786a.png

OK...my initial thought was the patch might corrupted the image so rolled back the vDisk version to the known good;  manually installed the MS patch, reboot several times confirm that the master image is good to go. Next day, I rebooted the master again got the SAME error! 

I rolled back again, boots fine, done nothing, rebooted several times, then few hours later I got same error when attempted to reboot... 

When the VM is started from the vSphere, I see the datetime stamp of the .avhdx changes to current time on the PVS server so I think it VM is communicating the PVS server fine...Not sure what to look for to troubleshoot at this point. 

I am still new to Citrix so I'd really appreciate your any insight.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet