Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Workspace App 2103+, BCR, Client Fetch/Client Render and client Device Proxy server

Ken Z

Question

Hi everyone

i seem to be asking a lot of questions recently... seems that either I'm getting very forgetful or I'm coming across more issues with Citrix...

Current Configuration

• Citrix 1912 CU3 Virtual Apps and Desktops environment running on Server 2019 and Windows 10
  • Accessed both internally and externally (external users come in through a Citrix Access Gateway) 
  • Internal users on internal client devices access the internet through a non-authenticating proxy, but internal Citrix resources (StoreFront, VDA, etc.) are not accessed through the proxy, as they are classed as internal.
  • BCR is configured and working 
  • Citrix Workspace App installed on client devices is version 2012.1
  • Going to imdb.com or other HTML5 enabled web sites enables BCR for client fetch, client render without issues. BCR icon on Browser screen turns green

Issue

Recently we had a need to upgrade the version of Workspace App on the client device (endpoint) from 2012.1 to a newer version (2106).

Since this was done, BCR redirection no longer works if the client device (endpoint) has to go through the proxy. Going to imdb.com the web page on the VDA attempts to offload the video, but gives up and fetches and renders it on the VDA. The BCR icon on the web page stays grey. If the client device doesn't go through a proxy, then BCR works perfectly.

It's as if the HDX Overlay Browser is not honoring the client proxy settings and cannot get out onto the internet to get the data. 

After testing the last 6 versions of the Workspace App, my results are

2012                BCR works with Client Fetch/Client Render through a client proxy to the internet

2012.1             BCR works with Client Fetch/Client Render through a client proxy to the internet

2102                BCR works with Client Fetch/Client Render through a client proxy to the internet

2103.1             BCR NO LONGER works with Client Fetch/Client Render through a client proxy to the internet, but does work without a proxy

2105                BCR NO LONGER works with Client Fetch/Client Render through a client proxy to the internet, but does work without a proxy

2106                BCR NO LONGER works with Client Fetch/Client Render through a client proxy to the internet, but does work without a proxy

so something has changed with Workspace App on 2103.1 onwards to stop if doing client fetch through a client proxy server.

I've tested this in two different scenarios, where the client proxy servers were completely different technologies, and the same issue occurs starting from 2103.1

Anyone else seen this behavior?

Am I missing something really obvious?

Regards

4 answers to this question

Update

After speaking to Citrix Support I worked with them to set up an identical environment in their test lab, and the same issue occurred there. This was even with Workspace App 21.7.0.13.

A couple of weeks later they released 21.7.0.44 (July 29th) which fixed the issue, so if anyone else if having this issue, 21.7.0.44 fixes it.

Regards

Ken Z

• Like 1

Ignore the above statement.

Built an entire CVAD 1912 environment in my test lab with a proxy server as the only outbound connection from the network to the internet.

If I allow direct internet access from the client device that's performing BCR, then BCR works no matter what version of Workspace App is being used.

As soon as I block direct internet access, forcing the Workspace App on the client device to only allow access to the internet through the proxy, then BCR on Workspace App 2103, 2105 and 2106 breaks.

Reverting back to Workspace app 2012.1 or 2102 and BCR works if internet access is exclusively through proxy.

Issue appears to be wholly to do with client side proxy, not server side.

NOTE: Browsing the internet from the client device using the proxy server (not through Citrix) is fine. All sites are accessible. The proxy is a non-authenticating server so it's nothing to do with that side. I can access video-enabled sites such as imdb.com and youtue.com through the proxy on the client device.

My thoughts are that the HDX Overlay Browser is not reading the users proxy settings, so i tried setting the SYSTEM proxy using the following command on the client device

netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie 

but this made no difference.

Regards

Ken Z