Welcome to our new Citrix community!

WSL/Ubuntu and AppLayering

Question

Hi,

We're looking to install WSL and Ubuntu on our VDIs and I'm running into issues. I was wanting to check if anyone has successfully got this working?

Our environment:

• AppLayering with PVS.
  • The layers have internet access but the VDIs don't.
  • FSLogix is used for profile management.

My understanding is that Windows apps are installed per user so I can't install this whilst editing the app layer.

I've tried installing under my user account whilst logged in to the VDI 'Add-AppxPackage C:\Ubuntu\Ubuntu2004.appx" and then launching the app however this seems to corrupt the install as I can't create a new Linux user.

image.thumb.png.0d3893d4f01c4858cc2ae1214a2b217a.png

image.png

If I run the same "Add-AppxPackage C:\Ubuntu\Ubuntu2004.appx" on a standard Windows 10 VM, Ubuntu installs ok and there are no errors.

Thanks.

Edited by Anay Tejura

8 answers to this question

I've tried using WSL and WSL2. 

I saw another comment on the forum that WSL2 won't work so recently have used WSL only.

The steps I used;

1. Enabled WSL on OS layer: dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux /all /norestart
  2. Restart OS layer
  3. Download .appx package from Manually download Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros | Microsoft Docs
  4. Install package: Add-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -PackagePath C:\Ubuntu.appx -SkipLicense
  5. Publish new vdisk and try to open app as a domain user.