Welcome to our new Citrix community!

UAC in 2019 vs older server OS's

Sandy Williams

Question

I'm switching to Server 2019 for our images and noticed that when opening command prompt it opens in non-elevated privileges whereas in 2016 or 2012R2 it opens in elevated privilege mode and I can't open in non-elevated.  This behavior extends out to my ICA session when I open a command prompt there.  I just noticed when trying to troubleshoot running 'ctxsession.exe' in 2019 in an ICA session I basically get an access denied error but in prior OS's I get the proper output.  Running ctxsession.exe in 2019 with an elevated command prompt the command produces the correct output.  

Other than this being a nuisance for me personally when troubleshooting via ICA..  I'm not sure if this UAC thing will present itself a problem with running daily production tasks for users..  still in the process of testing all apps with 2019.

BTW - I have UAC 'disabled' in my image and same GPO's apply to 2019 and 2016

3 answers to this question

Normal behavior is that you can open cmd without elevation. There are a few ways to get cmd always with elevation. Why your 2016 and 2012R2 image is like it is .. I really don't know :-) 

You should also consider your decision about UAC. Usually it's not a good idea to turn it off. There are several reasons, read that: Windows UAC - Why You Shouldn't Turn It Off : sysadmin (reddit.com)