Welcome to our new Citrix community!

NTP console screen and performance screen blank

WC Jones

Question

I have a pool of 6 servers. 

When I run ntpstat my three problem servers they all have a time correct to within or even above 205 ms. the same three servers are the ones that have intermittent issues with performance tab and console freezing. They all use the same NTP server. What else can i do to correct this problem?

14 answers to this question

Did you set up NTP properly and what source(s) are you using for your NTP servers? Anything above 200 msec is actually not very good. Most of mine were always within a few tens of msec. Run "ntpstat -s" on each server and see how far off they are from each other. On the Citrix forum, I have a series of three articles all about setting up and maintaining NTP on XenServer, though it may take some work to find them as they are a number of years old.

-=Tobias

4 minutes ago, WC Jones said:

thanks for the response. The other 3 working servers are at 9ms. This just started happening today and for the life of me nto sure why its only 3 out of the 6 that are having this issue

Forgot to say I did set up NTP through the xsconsole.

So after banging my head up against the wall... I shut my problem host down. I normally run a ping -t against it so I know its completely  down.. I noticed the ping session never timed out so I ran in the back and the server had shutdown. So I powered off the other two and the same thing happened. So I call my network team and asked them if there are other devices that have my reserved IP addresses and .... yes there are. Someone did not update the spreadsheet with my request. grr. So hopefully once I have clean Ip's this issue will  be resolved. I will keep you posted

Did you try switching the pool master?  For each host, do you ee all the network setting active (either in XenCEnter or via ifconfig, etc.)? Any cluess in the logs?

Can you ping anything beyond the switch?If in the pool does "ntpstat -s" show a reasonable offset (under 200 msec)?

-=Tobias

Thanks for the response. So I think I might have messed up things.. so I did a pool eject for all of host tied to the pool. Now when I try to add it back it says " this host is a backup of cluster this is not allowed. What are my options? The master has all the vms running and working so I am ok on that front(NFS storage). Would I be able to create a new pool with the remaining  host and then add original master as a slave? Or am I looking at a reinstall on all those host to add it back to the master?

To re-introduce a former pool member to a pool after it has been ejected, you need to get rid of all network interfaces except for a single primary network interface. When it's rejoined, it should pick up the other network settings (other than specific ones like iSCSI connections). The pool has a proper mater now, correct, and the ejected host is not still mislabeled as a master?  Check with "cat /etc/xensource/pool.conf" to see if it thinks it's still a master or not.

-=Tobias

It all turned out to be networks ... gr.. they did not configure both management ports on the secondary hosts... so of course when I tried to join it back to the pool I could not ping it, but if i left it as a standalone i had no issues. I ultimately found this out by going to configure the management and instead of using eth5 i used eth 7 and nothing... then i thought i should try the another host the same way... same thing.  Once I got them to configure both ports  I have all the host working. Tested Migration and vm connectivity. Finally. lol. Thank you for all of your help and suggestions. I probably could have figured this out sooner if I would have tested both ports in the beginning  .. now I know when networks say you are good to go.... maybe just maybe you are not :)