Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Map users to specific outgoing ports (Ephemeral port)

Thomas Faddegon

Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm new at the Citrix forums so maybe this is a silly question (or have I posted it wrong). Please correct me then :)

My use case:

For a customer of ours, we monitor all the outgoing traffic through a port mirror on the firewall port. When an endpoint connecting to a suspicious webserver we get an alert. But sometimes the endpoint is a Citrix Terminal server. So it could be one of the 25 users on that Citrix server. I heard (but I don't know it is true) it must be possible to map specific TCP ports to an end-user on a Citrix server. If that is possible we can see the outgoing TCP port on the server that is responsible for contacting a suspicious webserver so we can trace the port back to the specific user (so we can contact the user).

My question:

Does somebody know this is true and how I can map the servers? Or are there other ways (besides using a proxy) to map every user to an IP address for example?

Regards,

Thomas

2 answers to this question

Hi Thomas,

Not entirely sure if that is possible, but what is the network scenario?
Is the user connecting from the office network to a office Citrix worker?
Or is the user connecting from home to a office/remote Citrix worker?
There is a default set of ports used depending on the scenario, maybe you can whitelist those somehow?

If you provide me the scenario I will try and help you find what you need :).

Kind Regards,

Mick Hilhorst

On 6/7/2021 at 10:45 AM, Mick Hilhorst said:

Hi Thomas,

Not entirely sure if that is possible, but what is the network scenario?
Is the user connecting from the office network to a office Citrix worker?
Or is the user connecting from home to a office/remote Citrix worker?
There is a default set of ports used depending on the scenario, maybe you can whitelist those somehow?

If you provide me the scenario I will try and help you find what you need :).

Kind Regards,

Mick Hilhorst

Tnx for your feedback :)

Here I have a screenshot of the use case. This is an alarm of a multi session host connecting to a suspicious webserver:

afbeelding.thumb.png.fc95a79ce7924e3c38ed905a2ef27e40.png

I had a Citrix course this week and I ask my course leader if he had an answer for this use case. He told me that I have to look to RDS virtual IP (https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/manage-deployment/virtual-ip-virtual-loopback.html).  When I can give every user on the rds/citrix server his own IP I can trace the web traffic back to the user.

The only thing I had to do afterwards is creating a database of users and there "own" virtual IP for tracing purposes.

Edited by Thomas Faddegon
typo