Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Mixed Pool Upgrade

Question

Hi all,

I have an issue, where I was in the process of updating from Xenserver 7.4 to 8.2.  In order to not lose my pool, I had to take a specific path provided by Citrix as I was moving from a Non-LTSR to an LTSR pool.

My upgrade path is:  7.4 -> 7.6 -8.2.   I did this successfully in one of our Datacenters where the blades were booting from SD Cards. 

In a second datacenter, we were booting from SAN via iscsi.  This became an issue once i upgraded to 7.6.  I could not get the upgrade to go to 8.2.  This is because I later found out, that our specific UCS hardware versions, do not support SAN boot on version 8.2 as they did in 7.4 and 7.6.  That is the background of the issue.

What I have now, are 2 blades updated to 7.6 that I need to upgrade to 8.2 to support the Xendesktop products and upgrades we are using.  So I have decided I would change these blades over to SD boot as well.  It is currently a cluster of 2 blades, and everything is working fine at 7.6.  What I am going to do now, is take a 3rd blade that has never been apart of the cluster, and install 8.2 Directly on it booting from SD.  Is it safe for me to add this 8.2 blade to my 7.6 cluster and promote it to poolmaster?  I want to ensure I save my pools without having to recreated repositories and go through a long process of VM migrations/storage Migrations.

Looking for advice/opinions before I proceed!

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

As long as the XenServer/Citrix Hypervisor version and hotfixes are all the same and any other associated hardware, firmware, etc. match, you should be able to add the host to the pool. If that completes successfully and you see all the proper connections and interfaces on it, you can promote it to the pool master.

-=Tobias

1 hour ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

As long as the XenServer/Citrix Hypervisor version and hotfixes are all the same and any other associated hardware, firmware, etc. match, you should be able to add the host to the pool. If that completes successfully and you see all the proper connections and interfaces on it, you can promote it to the pool master.

-=Tobias

Thanks Tobias.  Do you think I should build as 7.6 rather than 8.2 then?  Join it, and then once it is set, remove each blade from the pool one at a time until they are all converted to SD boot at 7.6 then move forward with a rolling pool upgrade to 8.2?  Or should I join it with the higher OS version of 8.2?

14 hours ago, Alan Lantz said:

I doubt you can add an 8.2 server to a 7.6 pool. I'm not sure about the SD boot if it will upgrade 

properly do a rolling upgrade from 7.6 to 8.2.

--Alan--

No, you can't. The assumption is that all hosts would be at the same version and patch level before any would be added to the pool.

On 5/24/2021 at 7:30 PM, Alan Lantz said:

I doubt you can add an 8.2 server to a 7.6 pool. I'm not sure about the SD boot if it will upgrade 

properly do a rolling upgrade from 7.6 to 8.2.

--Alan--

On 5/25/2021 at 10:12 AM, Tobias Kreidl said:

No, you can't. The assumption is that all hosts would be at the same version and patch level before any would be added to the pool.

Thanks Guys.  I was able to work through this. I appreciate the feedback.  

I took the one blade and installed 7.6, did all the updates to match the pool, then joined it.  Made sure it was healthy, moved some vm's, then removed the other non pool master blade and did the same thing.  I then moved the pool master, and took the original pool master out, did the same thing.  

Now all 3 are back together as a cluster, all things have been preserved and working fine, and all are SD boot.  Now I will just work through a rolling pool upgrade to 8.2.

Resolved!