Welcome to our new Citrix community!

MCS Golden Image best practices

Derek Benak

Question

I am testing converting from PVS to MCS and I am having problems find documentation on how to setup the base image.

In PVS I need to shunt logs, pagefile, WEM cache, and other items that do a lot writing to a write disk. Is this necessary in MCS or can I leave these items in their default locations?

Can someone point me to a best practice document for MCS image setup?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

I have a Powershell script I run every time I shut the image down.  It disables certain services, removes entries from the start menu that I don’t want, disables certain scheduled tasks, deletes a couple of reg keys related to our antivirus, empties Temp and CCMcache folders, and finally calls the Citrix Optimizer tool with a custom XML file so the image is always optimised the way I like it.   Keeps things clean that way and I don’t have to remember to do anything manually.   When it’s finished, it reports on screen all the results, and the last step is to review those before hitting Return which powers the machine down for snapshot.

From a management perspective, one major difference is MCS *only* gives you a C: drive, so you can’t use a separate drive for app installs, event logs, etc.

Hello I know this is an old thread, but its the only  information I can find that explains my current situation. we are in the process of moving our Disaster Recovery CVAD environment from on-prem non-persistent  (Using PVS)to Azure (using Citrix cloud and MCS)  we have requirement to persist certain information like event logs sccm logs, systrack machine info, etc.  On prem this wasn't an issue as we redirected these directories to the write cache. 

In the Azure /Citrix Cloud environment using MCS I implemented MCSIO which has this ability as well.  I am having some issues with drive letters. on prem I have the write cache on drive D:\ and would like Azure environment MCSIO drive to be D:\as well, but looks like that the identity disk gets assigned this drive letter when the cloned is deployed even if the master image has this set to different drive letter. Has anyone else come accros this?

Thanks