Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Creating a new user account through Citrix workspace on Linux?

Gernot Weskott

Question

Hello,

we use Linux (Linux Mint 19.1). This week I updated to the latest Citrix Workspace version (21.4.0.11). After restarting the computer, I now find a new user account on the login screen: "citrixlog".

1. Is this process correct?
2. How can a software do an activity that is reserved for admin rights?
3. What is the function of this user account, what password is stored there to log in?
4. Can I delete this user account again?

Thank you for your help!

9 answers to this question

Hi,

[Response] - Yes, this is expected

[Response] - When the CWA Linux is installed as root user, the citrixlog user is created at user privileges to take care of the applications logging requirements.
3. What is the function of this user account, what password is stored there to log in?

[Response] - The citrixlog user is created at user privileges to take care of the applications logging requirements. This account is passwordless.

[Response] - Deleting this account impacts the functionality of logging of CWA Linux

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi Sophia Jose,

Thanks for updating the documentation.   Can we obtain some context about how the linux is used. Some questions I have are:

1. Why is the user created with a user id number in the range of normal users (1000+).  Is this needed? Surely this user account is an application user and should have been created using a low id?  (See the content of /etc/password for many other users that are related to applications.)
  2. Can the user's shell be updated to /sbin/nologin?  (Does the user really need to use the shell, /bin/bash?  - Plenty of other service based users use /sbin/nologin - See the content of /etc/passwd for a list of other system user accounts.)
  3. Can the documentation be updated to specify how the user account is used, for example, change it to  "When Citrix Workspace app is installed, a user called citrixlog is created to handle the logging functionality.  This system user is used by the systemd service, ctxlogd.service which will listen for event from all users via ??? and write files to ???."
  4. I've looked in the ctxlogd.service and noted that there is no line with the content, `User=citrixlog` .  Would using the user account in this way be preferable, (rather than letting the application switch to the user via another means)?

If you were to do (1) and / or (2), that would avoid the user showing up as a user that can be selected from the graphical login screens.

Please note that I am using AlmaLinux 8 using RedHat  Enterprise Linux 8 package, and observed similar concerns as that observed for Mint distro raised by Gernot Weskott.

• Like 1
On 5/18/2021 at 10:34 AM, Harish Kumar Gurram said:

Hi,

[Response] - Yes, this is expected

[Response] - When the CWA Linux is installed as root user, the citrixlog user is created at user privileges to take care of the applications logging requirements.

[Response] - The citrixlog user is created at user privileges to take care of the applications logging requirements. This account is passwordless.

[Response] - Deleting this account impacts the functionality of logging of CWA Linux

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification on these questions.

Will the product documentation be updated with this information?

I spent some time browsing the pages, especially the logging section of the configure page. My expectation was that a behaviour of an application like this just has be included in a comprehensive manual.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:45 AM, Pierre Dumuid said:

1. Why is the user created with a user id number in the range of normal users (1000+).  Is this needed? Surely this user account is an application user and should have been created using a low id?  (See the content of /etc/password for many other users that are related to applications.)
  2. Can the user's shell be updated to /sbin/nologin?  (Does the user really need to use the shell, /bin/bash?  - Plenty of other service based users use /sbin/nologin - See the content of /etc/passwd for a list of other system user accounts.)
  3. Can the documentation be updated to specify how the user account is used, for example, change it to  "When Citrix Workspace app is installed, a user called citrixlog is created to handle the logging functionality.  This system user is used by the systemd service, ctxlogd.service which will listen for event from all users via ??? and write files to ???."
  4. I've looked in the ctxlogd.service and noted that there is no line with the content, `User=citrixlog` .  Would using the user account in this way be preferable, (rather than letting the application switch to the user via another means)?

+1 for these questions.  Please add answers to the documentation or post a link here so that we may request these changes (like a bug tracking system).