Welcome to our new Citrix community!

MS Teams - Citrix VDI - Limited Version

Michele Rusconi

Question

Hello,

according to this article Optimization for Microsoft Teams (citrix.com) MS Teams running on Citrix VDI has some known limitations, among which this one, quote:

- Give control and take control: Not supported during a desktop screen sharing or application sharing session. Supported only during a PowerPoint sharing session.

Which is really annoying.

Do you guys know if there's a way to have the "Full Version" in order to have this feature in a Citrix VDI environment?

Thanks!

Zeno

9 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Michele Rusconi said:

Thanks for the information. 

So, if I understood correctly, you think is better to keep the HDX Optimization enabled and keep Teams as per-machine, even though this means not having those features available?

I just asked to Citrix Support, they told me that we have to wait for Microsoft to update the HDX, per-machine version in order to have those features...

Zeno

Hi,

Well, in my opinion it a "it depends" kind of statement :)

The Teams HDX Optimization will offload the Teams resource usage to the end point, that may be crucial for providing a decent user experience with Teams in CVAD. And the machine-based Teams is a recommendation by Microsoft and with that you have control over which version of Teams you are on.

I think you are on the right path with contacting Citrix support. We need Citrix to put some additional pressure on Microsoft to have the needed features in Teams in CVAD.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Kasper Johansen1709159522 said:

Hi,

You can have the "full version" if you do not use the Teams HDX Optimization feature, and if you install Teams as per-user and not per-machine (machine based).

Hello Kasper, thanks!

Are there any drawbacks in deactivating the HDX optimization features and installing Teams as per-user?

Thanks!

Zeno

1 minute ago, Michele Rusconi said:

Hello Kasper, thanks!

Are there any drawbacks in deactivating the HDX optimization features and installing Teams as per-user?

Thanks!

Zeno

Hi,

Yes, there are a few drawbacks.

With the per-user mode of Teams you can no longer control which version the user has access to, as it lives in the user's profile and updates at random times. I cannot recommend running per-user Teams in a Citrix VAD environment.

Without Teams HDX Optimization, video and audio is not offloaded to the end point, which means everything is running on the VDA server/machine, this will usually generate a considerable amount of CPU utilization, especially with multiple users working with Teams on the same server/machine.

In short, I would recommend going with the machine based Teams and implement the Teams HDX Optimization feature.

1 minute ago, Kasper Johansen1709159522 said:

Hi,

Yes, there are a few drawbacks.

With the per-user mode of Teams you can no longer control which version the user has access to, as it lives in the user's profile and updates at random times. I cannot recommend running per-user Teams in a Citrix VAD environment.

Without Teams HDX Optimization, video and audio is not offloaded to the end point, which means everything is running on the VDA server/machine, this will usually generate a considerable amount of CPU utilization, especially with multiple users working with Teams on the same server/machine.

In short, I would recommend going with the machine based Teams and implement the Teams HDX Optimization feature.

Thanks for the information. 

So, if I understood correctly, you think is better to keep the HDX Optimization enabled and keep Teams as per-machine, even though this means not having those features available?

I just asked to Citrix Support, they told me that we have to wait for Microsoft to update the HDX, per-machine version in order to have those features...

Zeno

14 minutes ago, Kasper Johansen1709159522 said:

Hi,

Well, in my opinion it a "it depends" kind of statement :)

The Teams HDX Optimization will offload the Teams resource usage to the end point, that may be crucial for providing a decent user experience with Teams in CVAD. And the machine-based Teams is a recommendation by Microsoft and with that you have control over which version of Teams you are on.

I think you are on the right path with contacting Citrix support. We need Citrix to put some additional pressure on Microsoft to have the needed features in Teams in CVAD.

Thanks, let's hope that MS and Citrix will fix this in the future releases.

Thanks again for your help!

On 5/17/2021 at 6:55 PM, John Ferrini said:

All,

I am running a full set of NP VDI machines using MCS.  I use the the following article to get it working, On a side note, I am running OneDrive in "Online Only" mode successfully on both apps.

Teams Installers:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-for-vdi

Hi John,

what do you mean "you get it working"? Full (unlocked) version with give and take control features? In that article you mentioned they specifically say that some functionalities are limited in the VDI version.

It's working for us, but in a limited version.

Let me know

Thanks