Welcome to our new Citrix community!

App Layering - Full User Layers and Machine Specific Software

Chance Hartin

Question

Since full user layers forces me into a pooled machine situation for whatever reason, how do I deal with software that is not system-agnostic?

An example would be Carbon Black Protection. I follow the directions of removing machine identifiers before finalizing the layer, and when a user logs in, it does what is needed. It starts up, sets itself up for x machine, does its scans or whatever and it works as expected. Problem is, the system-specific information gets stored in the user layer, and the user layer gets moved around between machines whenever a user logs out of the VDI and relaunches due to the catalog being a pool (why is this forced?).

4 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

That seems strange because carbon black should load before the user logs on when the machine boots. Maybe you should use settlementperiodbeforeuse to ensure the desktops are fully booted up before users logon. 

Sorry, Im new to app layering. Are you saying that the CBP layer and whatever data it creates is independent of the user layer, and Im guessing would therefore be non-persistent? I'll have to revisit with our EIS team as I forgot exactly what the issue was (and I have no visibility into CB of course), but I seem to recall it being seen as the wrong machine when we logged the test user out after letting CBP run its initial scan and logging them into another target device.

The carbon black layer should be included with the image so it would start up when the machine boots and should configure itself before a user logs on.  User layers dont get attached until right before the user logon so the carbon black guids and config should already be defined outside the user layer and therefore not captured by the user layer. You might want to open a case as well maybe it makes sense to exclude the carbon black folders from the user layer.  Support can help you with that config. 

14 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

The carbon black layer should be included with the image so it would start up when the machine boots and should configure itself before a user logs on.  User layers dont get attached until right before the user logon so the carbon black guids and config should already be defined outside the user layer and therefore not captured by the user layer. You might want to open a case as well maybe it makes sense to exclude the carbon black folders from the user layer.  Support can help you with that config. 

Ah, thank you. I'll work with that.