Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix 7.15 LTSR to 1912CU2 LTSR Upgrade fails upgrading database

Question

Attempted to upgrade our environment from 7.15 to 1912CU2 this weekend.  Verified system requirements were met, followed the Citrix "upgrade a deployment" guide, ran all pre-upgrade checks with no errors or warnings.  Everything went great until it was time to launch Studio after the restart and upgrade the database.  I was presented with the option of automatic site upgrade or manual, I selected automatic and the process started, then failed with the following error:  "Cannot validate on parameter 'Database'.  The character length (0) of the argument is too short.  Specify an argument with a length that is greater than or equal to "1", and then try the command again."  I found one article, CTX236060, that mentions the first part of the error.  I ran the Powershell commands to identify the issue, but the results look fine, they have the correct SQL server and database listed, not like their example.  I went back and tried to select the Manual option for site upgrade, but received the same error.  I opened a case with Citrix, but they were stumped also and I ended up having to restore the databases and revert all the Citrix servers back to their original snapshots to restore my 7.15 production system.  Has anyone seen this or possibly know what is going on?  

3 answers to this question

Hi Bill,

This almost certainly needs to be an issue with the Database entry, like they explain in CTX236060.
If I might be so free to advise, when I do upgrades for customers I tend to upgrade half of the environment (assuming you use a redundant setup ;)).

This gives you a little more time when the database upgrade does not go well.

Even so; now that your farm is back in production use the article to check your current database setup and make a screenshot / dump of it.
Now when you are upgrading if the data is exactly the same, still reenter the information that is crucial, it might be that an entry is hanging but does show as valid.

It throws the error 'cause under the gui it's entering the following powershell cmdlet (copied from the article): 
  Get-MonitorDBVersionChangeScript  -AdminAddress "<servername.domainname:80>" -DatabaseName ""-DataStore "Monitor" -TargetVersion "7.6.1000.0"

It might be worth your while to use that same cmdlet and enter the data manually if my first suggestion fails.

Kind Regards,

Mick Hilhorst

Free advice is always welcome :)  And yes, we do have a redundant setup and I was upgrading half of the environment when I encountered this issue.  I did look through that article last night and ran those commands, here were the results:

ConnectionString : Server=SQLServer01;Initial Catalog=CitrixSite;Integrated Security=True

DataStore            : Site
DatabaseType     : SqlServer
Provider               : MSSQL
SchemaName      : Monitor
Status                   : OK

ConnectionString : Server=SQLServer01 ;Initial Catalog=CitrixMonitoring;Integrated Security=True
DataStore            : Monitor
SchemaName      : MonitorData
Status                  : OK

Unlike the article mentions, the correct database is listed in that second part of the ConnectionString  when I ran those couple of PowerShell commands.  So, you are suggesting to go ahead and run those two commands to resolve the issue before clicking the Automatic Site upgrade button next go around?  Just wanting to make sure I'm clear on your suggestion.  Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Bill Clark1709159029 said:

Free advice is always welcome :)  And yes, we do have a redundant setup and I was upgrading half of the environment when I encountered this issue.  I did look through that article last night and ran those commands, here were the results:

ConnectionString : Server=SQLServer01;Initial Catalog=CitrixSite;Integrated Security=True

DataStore            : Site
SchemaName      : Monitor
Status                   : OK

ConnectionString : Server=SQLServer01 ;Initial Catalog=CitrixMonitoring;Integrated Security=True
DataStore            : Monitor
SchemaName      : MonitorData
Status                  : OK

Unlike the article mentions, the correct database is listed in that second part of the ConnectionString  when I ran those couple of PowerShell commands.  So, you are suggesting to go ahead and run those two commands to resolve the issue before clicking the Automatic Site upgrade button next go around?  Just wanting to make sure I'm clear on your suggestion.  Thanks!

Did you notice there is a space in the part I bolded? not sure if that is due to copy/paste formatting or an error in the entry :). 

Yeah, I'd make sure that even if it appears as correct you still set the values.
And if that doesn't work try and set the parameter with the "  Get-MonitorDBVersionChangeScript  -AdminAddress "<servername.domainname:80>" -DatabaseName ""-DataStore "Monitor" -TargetVersion "7.6.1000.0"" command.