Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Microsoft Teams closed captioned feature available for some users, but not others, on same pooled VDI?

Stephen D. Holder

Question

Greetings,

I’m working with a user in Citrix VDI who is trying to use the closed captioning feature in Microsoft Teams, but it is not available – it doesn’t even show up. This is super strange because there are other co-workers who are on the same pooled desktop version, and they have it available. I checked with the group responsible for managing Microsoft teams and they indicated that the switch responsible for this feature is a global setting and is set to enable.

Because this is a pooled environment, the version of Microsoft teams is the same -- 1.3.00.30866(64-bit) I don’t know what I’m missing... could there be a local app that needs to be installed on the endpoint for it to be enabled? Kind of like HDX was needed for skype back in the day? I was unable to find a setting within the users preferences on the Microsoft Team app itself.

User does have Citrix workspace app, I’m stumped. Looking to see if anyone else has ran into this or has any thoughts / ideas.

Thanks

no_cap.png

yes_cap.png

9 answers to this question

So, I was able to make some headway…

After more investigating a downgrade to Citrix Receiver 4.9 LTSR on the client’s endpoint will grant access to Live captions (and even blur effects) in a VDI session.

Although, Receiver 4.9 LTSR is missing years of improvements/security enhancements compared to Workspace -- it does allow for the captions.

I’m not sure if that leaves the issue at the Citrix level because receiver 4.9 appears to allow these features in a VDI session, or at the Microsoft level because in a stated article it says Teams on a desktop and VDI are in fact different and  ‘some advance features may be missing.’

In the same article, non-supported features are listed, specifically -

·         Any multi-window functionality like the new meeting experiences or any functionality that comes with the new meeting experience  (I assume captions fall under this)

·         Background blur and effects

Both which are available with the Citrix Receiver 4.9 LTSR.

A little further down in that same article, a Citrix article is referenced to help troubleshoot HDX and teams on VDI, but I don’t see anywhere where it improves, helps or assist in with the live captioning feature. Side note, even when I got the captions working in VDI, there were some shortcomings, mainly, words not being transcribed right which is probably expected with any speech to text software.

Until Citrix or Microsoft comes out with a working supported version of captions in Teams on VDI, I hope this helps someone.

All screen captures are from a Citrix VDI session on 1912 CU2.

cap_9a.png

cap_7a.png

cap_8a.png

• Like 2

Mick,

Thanks again for your note. I’ve contacted the engineer who installed Teams on the image, and they verified they did install teams the way that article suggests.

I was doing some more digging and came across this article,  which apparently was solved in the response dated Jul 13 2020 12:13 PM.

Someone else had the exact problem I’m having and solved it outside of Citrix at the O365 level.  I’m going to take this article share it with our O365 team and see if they can find some policy or something that’s causing this odd behavior.

I hope to post back positive findings…

• Like 1

If the Teams session is not optimized, for example the user has a CWA version that does not support Teams optimization (anything prior to CWA 1905 for Windows), then Teams in the VDA behaves 'natively' and all functionalities are supported. BUT .... audio/video/screenshare is rendered by/on the VDA and that will tax the VDA's CPU and network.

The moment the session is optimized (e.g. users with CWA for Windows 1912) then Teams switches to WebRTC and some elements in the UI are not available anymore.

E.g, Live captions. 

• Like 1

Hi Stephen,

Did you validate first hand that they have the same version of teams?
I understand the assumption completely, but teams has an interesting setup as you can do a 'per user' installation and a 'per machine' installation.
If it was installed on the 'per user' basis, some might not be updated yet.

Kind Regards,

Mick Hilhorst

Hi Mick and thanks for your response.

The versions are identical. I check them on both user sessions, and both are reporting the same Teams version.

Installing teams does bring up a good point. I wasn't the one that preformed the installation, but your point about per user and per machine brings up a good point.

Have you seen similar behavior on what I'm experiencing with this user that was fixed by a 'proper'  user/machine Teams installation?

Thanks

Hi Stephen,

Most welcome, glad I can help :). 

I have not seen this behaviour before, but I must admit i'm not necessarily that much involved with Teams.
Even though I would advise to check if you have a machine/user based installation, the difference is in the parameter given during the install.
The documentation regarding it can be found here:

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/multimedia/opt-ms-teams.html

I copied the relevant text for you:

===========================================

We recommend you follow the Microsoft Teams machine-wide installation guidelines and avoid using the .exe installer that installs Teams in AppData. Instead, install in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Teams by using the ALLUSER=1 flag from the command line.

msiexec /i <path_to_msi> /l*v <install_logfile_name> ALLUSER=1 ALLUSERS=1

This example also uses the ALLUSERS=1 parameter. When you set this parameter, the Teams Machine-Wide Installer appears in Programs and Features in the Control Panel and in Apps & features in Windows Settings for all users of the computer.

All users can then uninstall Teams if they have administrator credentials. It’s important to understand the difference between ALLUSERS=1 and ALLUSER=1.
You can use the ALLUSERS=1 parameter in non-VDI and VDI environments. Use the ALLUSER=1 parameter only in VDI environments to specify a per-machine installation.

In ALLUSER=1 mode, the Teams application doesn’t auto-update whenever there is a new version.
We recommend this mode for non-persistent environments. For example, hosted shared apps or desktops out of a Windows Server or Windows 10 random/pooled catalogs.
For more information, see Install Microsoft Teams using MSI (VDI Installation section).

You have Windows 10 dedicated persistent VDI environments.
You want the Teams application to auto-update and would prefer Teams to install per-user under Appdata/Local, use the .exe installer or the MSI without ALLUSER=1.

===========================================

Kind Regards,

Mick

@Fernando Klurfan1709153904,

Great info! What I hear you saying is.....

If Teams is installed on the VDA and the local client does not have a Teams optimized CWA, then the Teams on the VDA takes over and allows all the features, such as blur screen, live captions, etc - but the caveat is, VDA resources are taxed more.

Soon as the  local client gets an optimized CWA, teams switches to WebRTC and some elements/features are no longer available... in my case, blurred screen and  captions.

Forgive me denseness, but do you have a link to where this is documented?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Stephen D. Holder said:

@Fernando Klurfan1709153904,

Great info! What I hear you saying is.....

If Teams is installed on the VDA and the local client does not have a Teams optimized CWA, then the Teams on the VDA takes over and allows all the features, such as blur screen, live captions, etc - but the caveat is, VDA resources are taxed more.

Soon as the  local client gets an optimized CWA, teams switches to WebRTC and some elements/features are no longer available... in my case, blurred screen and  captions.

Forgive me denseness, but do you have a link to where this is documented?

Thanks!

Yes you got it right.

It is not documented explicitly, but can be inferred from https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/multimedia/opt-ms-teams.html#enable-optimization-of-microsoft-teams and from https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX253754#LTSR