How do I upgrade Studio (only) on a multi session server?

jwhittak

Question

This is on a multi session server that provides Citrix desktops used by some support teams.  I ran autoselect.exe and the option to choose Studio is grayed out and says "included in upgrade".  The VDA has been upgraded but the older version of Studio remains.  Now when I launch Studio on that server and connect to the delivery controller I'm given a warning that my Studio version is older than my site version.  Site was recently upgraded.  VDA on server is 7 1912 LTSR CU2.  Studio on server is 7.15 LTSR - XenApp.  Those are the two I see in the list of programs on the server.  I have also rebooted the server from Studio (running on another server).

7 answers to this question

Hi Jason,

I'm not entirely sure if I follow properly, but assuming that Citrix Studio is installed on a separate machine you can just press the top left button in the GUI (see image).
It will say something among the terms of upgrade if you run it on a server where a Citrix component is already installed.
image.thumb.png.e19c327a242ff056ee781b3ccdc0ba75.png

You can safely click it to see what it installs, it will open a separate wizard.

Kind Regards,

Mick Hilhorst

• Like 1
14 hours ago, jwhittak said:

I might be on to something.  I now have it showing Citrix Virtual App 7 1912 LTSR CU2 - Virtual Apps.  I think I'll be able to figure it out from here.  Thanks!  Just have to get Studio back on since I removed it while troubleshooting and trying to understand how it works.

Nice, I gave it a quick check in one of my own environments; for me that entry is the Citrix Studio. 
Best of luck, Jason. Let me know if I can help with anything else. 

• Like 1
On 4/30/2021 at 1:57 AM, Sjoerd Van den Nieuwenhof said:

Hi,

When you moint the ISO and go to D:\x64\DesktopStudio there is a installer for studio, try that one. 

That did allow me to upgrade Citrix Studio, so thanks for that.  But, I still have something named Citrix 7.15 LTSR - XenApp in the Add/Remove Programs on the server.  I thought that was for the Studio that was already installed. Any idea what that might be for?  Its not the VDA.  This Citrix terminology is killing me lol.

20 minutes ago, jwhittak said:

That did allow me to upgrade Citrix Studio, so thanks for that.  But, I still have something named Citrix 7.15 LTSR - XenApp in the Add/Remove Programs on the server.  I thought that was for the Studio that was already installed. Any idea what that might be for?  Its not the VDA.  This Citrix terminology is killing me lol.

Hi Jason,

That could be either Controller, Studio, Director, License Server, or StoreFront (https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xenapp-and-xendesktop/7-15-ltsr/install-configure/remove.html)
Can't you unfold the name property with the drag bar?Not sure how to call it so I will show a screenshot;
image.thumb.png.fdb3ec808e6f9382c3f25a3b9b12fdda.pngimage.thumb.png.0c09e836f6d0718bf545dddde16b480d.png

I might be on to something.  I now have it showing Citrix Virtual App 7 1912 LTSR CU2 - Virtual Apps.  I think I'll be able to figure it out from here.  Thanks!  Just have to get Studio back on since I removed it while troubleshooting and trying to understand how it works.