Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How to migrate Microsoft RDS Win2008 (v2) profile to UPM 7.15 for XenApp 6.5 farm

Glenn Dowling1709151535

Question

My XenApp 6.5 farm -- yeah I know... unsupported -- is using the old Microsoft RDS policy for roaming profiles, and we have run into login issues with it.  Rather than extensively troubleshoot it (corrupt NTUSER.DAT), I decided I wanted to migrate their profiles to the UPM world using our 7.15 version of Profile Management (which we have in place for our 7.15 farm).

I have tried to point the "path to user store" to be the same exact location as what the RDS policy uses -- \\server\share\\%USERNAME%.%USERDOMAIN%.V2 -- so the users don't have to recreate network drive mappings, browser favorites, etc... but that did not work as all it did was simply create new "Pending" and "UPM_Profile" subfolders within the user store (and settings did not copy over).  Since the template files are prior to 1909, I do not have the ability to see or use "Migrate User Store" option.  :(

The documentation for 7.15 profile management is very vague in saying that it *can* migrate... with no mention as to how.

Thoughts?

4 answers to this question

By default, if the user does not have an existing Citrix profile, then it migrates any other profile it can find for the user. https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/profile-management/current-release/configure/choose-a-migration-policy.html

RDS profiles and UPM profiles should be stored in different folders/shares. Apply both policies to the XenApp server. During logon, if the UPM profile doesn't exist, then RDS profile will download and UPM will then convert it to a UPM profile.

• Like 1
On 4/24/2021 at 6:38 AM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

By default, if the user does not have an existing Citrix profile, then it migrates any other profile it can find for the user. https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/profile-management/current-release/configure/choose-a-migration-policy.html

RDS profiles and UPM profiles should be stored in different folders/shares. Apply both policies to the XenApp server. During logon, if the UPM profile doesn't exist, then RDS profile will download and UPM will then convert it to a UPM profile.

Which takes a higher priority in Group Policy Management?  RDS or UPM?

Thank you.  That seemed to do the trick.  Information in Citrix can be puzzling at times, so it always helps when you provide the much needed answers.

1.  Separate folders for "path to user store" between UPM and RDS policies.

2.  Enable both policies in GPMC.

3.  UPM policy takes precedence over RDS policy.

During initial login, UPM does not see a UPM profile, but it DOES see the RDS profile.  It imports the RDS profile locally to the Citrix server, and then immediately migrates it into UPM user store.  It brought over all the settings (e.g. IE favorites, documents stored in the profile, manually mapped network drives).

The locking "stamp" file takes place on subsequent logins with UPM.