Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Anonymous published apps and RDS Cals?

Angelo Hongens

Question

Does anyone have any documentation on the relationship between anonymous published apps and RDS cals? 

I have about 50 users, connecting from about a 100-150 different devices across multiple networks. I want to use anonymous published applications (specific line-of-business application with built-in authentication). But what are the requirements for RDS licensing? Can I use per user licensing, or do I have to use per device licensing? (Which would be waaay more expensive in my setup).

You guys and girls got any feedback on that?

3 answers to this question

Hi Angelo,

that is how it is designed. RDS User Cals use Active Directory. It wont work with Anonymous.

If there is no SSO with the LOB App you definitely have your users login twice first Workspace and then the LOB App.

Buying Device CALs is the wrong path for you.  (Besides if your users connect via Browser HTML5 these browser sessions count as device!  )

With the user CALs you still have all the options to go: pressure the LOB Team to implement SSO,  allow save password here or there, publish more applications, etc.

best regards

Markus

4 hours ago, Angelo Hongens said:

Marcus, thanks for your feedback.

But then why did Citrix even implement anonymous applications if there is no way to ever use them?

Anonymous is in Citrix (Metaframe) since decades and its a cool feature. Once they removed it (around 2017?) but then reintroduced it into XenApp/CVAD because of customer demand.

However you need device CALs. And it makes sense only in niche scenarios -  like a public printing terminal or stuff like that. I once used it for student lab machines. Even with (printer) authentication on top of the anonymous session. Thousands of users on a few fixed stations.