Welcome to our new Citrix community!

MCS IO issues ?

david brown1709155931

Question

Hello all

think i might have an issue whereby 7.15 vda has been upgraded to 1912 and suspect mcsio not working well. have catalogs with 100gm mem 40 assigned to caching. 100gb cache drive. even with this the user density is only about 8 users stable. 

was wondering what is the driver associated with MCSIO (.sys?) and its associated version

i have tried querying drivers and services using sc query but cannot see any obvious mcsio details. 

we use eg for monitoring and we could delve into the cache and cache disk usage prior to upgrading the vda, now that functionality is gone on the eg monitor ?

regards

dave

9 answers to this question

I haven't tried it lately but 18 months ago I had terrible trouble with MCS IO caching and ended up disabling it entirely by creating new machine catalogs.   All the problems I was having (blue screens, VM lockups) went away immediately.  So that might be one route out, subject to testing to make sure performance isn't completely ruined.

Also, it might be worth removing the VDA entirely from the master image and thoroughly cleaning it up (there is a tool to do this somewhere) and then reinstalling it.   Sometimes an upgrade isn't quite the same as a clean install.

I've tried using MCSIO on and off for the last few years and always had some kind of problems with it, mostly vms getting stuck when shutting down.

I decided to ditch the mcs io stuff and moved our vdi pool onto a nfs share on zfs with sync disabled. Since the mcs machines are stateless sync=disabled is fine by me.

Thanks all for all the advice. looks like a cleanup of the VDA and removal is needed. i think it might also be causing issues with GPU's also as performance and user density is poor with only about 8 users with 80gb mem and 30gb cache !

is the vda cleanup util the best way to cleanup / remove or are there other solutions needed as well ?

thanks again

dave

14 hours ago, david brown1709155931 said:

Thanks all for all the advice. looks like a cleanup of the VDA and removal is needed. i think it might also be causing issues with GPU's also as performance and user density is poor with only about 8 users with 80gb mem and 30gb cache !

is the vda cleanup util the best way to cleanup / remove or are there other solutions needed as well ?

thanks again

dave

Still the best :-)

15 hours ago, david brown1709155931 said:

I think it might also be causing issues with GPU's also as performance and user density is poor with only about 8 users with 80gb mem and 30gb cache !

You have GPUs?   How many cores?   I think you can only have as many users as you have cores, if you want to run GPUs.