Welcome to our new Citrix community!

selective teams issues my users are coming across when running in a VDI environment.

Golan Nave1709152881

Question

Good day all,

This post is essentially to get your opinions on selective teams issues my users are coming across when running in a VDI environment.

As we all know, due to the pandemic, we were all forced to work from home; this has made a massive push in our company towards MS teams. 

We run a 1912LTSR CU1 across the board with Windows 10 Static VDI's with HDX MS teams optimisation enabled.

Al in all, things are working well. I would say 70% of the problems are users not selecting the right microphone and or not allowed mic access to the citrix received app / reverting back to HTML5 client and so on.

The other 30% of the issues we see are errors along the line of:

When trying to join a meeting (Unable to join) - something went wrong.

When trying to screen share, Either the screen share option is not available, or a black screen presented.

Mic and speaker selection option showing as none. I.e. no devices available.

All of the above issues ordinarily would be fixed by closing teams (right-click next to the clock, quit) re-open teams.

Some user has gone as far as instaling teams locally on their devices to avoid all of the above.

May I please ask? are your users experience similar issues? 

I am trying to ascertain if I need to dig deeper into the problem or just accept things as they are. 

7 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Golan Nave1709152881 said:

Good day all,

This post is essentially to get your opinions on selective teams issues my users are coming across when running in a VDI environment.

As we all know, due to the pandemic, we were all forced to work from home; this has made a massive push in our company towards MS teams. 

We run a 1912LTSR CU1 across the board with Windows 10 Static VDI's with HDX MS teams optimisation enabled.

Al in all, things are working well. I would say 70% of the problems are users not selecting the right microphone and or not allowed mic access to the citrix received app / reverting back to HTML5 client and so on.

The other 30% of the issues we see are errors along the line of:

When trying to join a meeting (Unable to join) - something went wrong.

When trying to screen share, Either the screen share option is not available, or a black screen presented.

Mic and speaker selection option showing as none. I.e. no devices available.

All of the above issues ordinarily would be fixed by closing teams (right-click next to the clock, quit) re-open teams.

Some user has gone as far as instaling teams locally on their devices to avoid all of the above.

May I please ask? are your users experience similar issues? 

I am trying to ascertain if I need to dig deeper into the problem or just accept things as they are. 

Very very important your users use latest CWA release. A lot of issues related to these have already been fixed.

It may be awkward, but it's essential.   Most of the fixes for these issues are contained in the CWA at the endpoint.  The latest versions of Citrix Workspace actually update themselves so hopefully this won't continue to be a problem as time goes on.

Also you need to keep Teams updated on the VDI machines.   If they are static then you can use either the per-user or the per-machine install, but only the per-user keeps itself updated.   The per-machine needs to be removed and the latest one installed in it's place to update it.

Basically, it comes down to this - Teams Optimization is not yet a mature product, and consequently there are updates released constantly to resolve the numerous issues.   You have to keep updating to the latest to stand any chance of providing an acceptable user experience.

3 hours ago, Michael Burnstead1709159565 said:

It may be awkward, but it's essential.   Most of the fixes for these issues are contained in the CWA at the endpoint.  The latest versions of Citrix Workspace actually update themselves so hopefully this won't continue to be a problem as time goes on.

Also you need to keep Teams updated on the VDI machines.   If they are static then you can use either the per-user or the per-machine install, but only the per-user keeps itself updated.   The per-machine needs to be removed and the latest one installed in it's place to update it.

Basically, it comes down to this - Teams Optimization is not yet a mature product, and consequently there are updates released constantly to resolve the numerous issues.   You have to keep updating to the latest to stand any chance of providing an acceptable user experience.

All makes sense to me :) 

Did your user experience similar issues at any point?

5 hours ago, Daniel Szomboti said:

Some of the issues you mention were fixed quite a while back. I'd say try make sure VDA, CWA and Teams are latest before raising a ticket. 

This morning i have experience the issue myself.

I am runing VDA 1912CU1 and latest workspace app. 

I think i may need to look in to networking requirements nedded to be performed for Teams. specifically some UDP ports etc. 

12 minutes ago, Golan Nave1709152881 said:

This morning i have experience the issue myself.

I am runing VDA 1912CU1 and latest workspace app. 

I think i may need to look in to networking requirements nedded to be performed for Teams. specifically some UDP ports etc. 

There is this cool new tool to check all network requirements for MTOP from Microsoft: https://connectivity.office.com/  - after test at bottom there is a Teams section.