Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Installing fresh 8.2 XenServer host build into already upgraded pool any known issues?

David Ross1709151782

Question

Today I tried to build 2 identical (nics, memory, CPU) xenserver 8.2 hosts and add them to a resource pool which has been upgraded recently using rolling pool upgrade wizard.

The upgraded pool has been working fine.

I built two new hosts with the same .iso I used to upgrade the current pool to 8.2 

However upon adding each of them to the pool the pools vlans and bonds were not created on either of them with the exception or the management lan.

I also had to rebuild one of the previously upgraded servers and when I tried to add this to the pool the same thing happened. This was working fine in the same pool yet now when I add it the pool network config isn't copied across.

Are there any known issues in adding a fresh 8.2 build to an upgraded pool? 

The pool was only at version 8.1 prior to upgrade.

The one thing however is I didn't apply any 8.2 updates to the pool after it was upgraded from 8.1

Can anyone shed some light on why this might be happening?

Thanks

9 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, David Ross1709151782 said:

Hello Tobias,

No all the interfaces were available. None were removed prior to adding to the pool.

You always need to remove all interfaces except the single primary management interface (PMI) before adding a standalone host to a pool.

-=Tobias

AFAIK, yes, this has always been the case. The pool master is tasked with configuring the pool-wide interfaces on hosts added to the pool, excepting things like iSCSI interfaces, which have to be done manually. The standard procedure is to add a host to a pool with only the single PMI configured, which is what I have always done, and customized any specific interfaces afterwards.

-=Tobias

21 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

AFAIK, yes, this has always been the case. The pool master is tasked with configuring the pool-wide interfaces on hosts added to the pool, excepting things like iSCSI interfaces, which have to be done manually. The standard procedure is to add a host to a pool with only the single PMI configured, which is what I have always done, and customized any specific interfaces afterwards.

-=Tobias

So I rebuilt the host fresh today and only configured the management nics. When adding to the pool it took an age to both boot/arrive at the console page and then come out of maint mode. Then eventually the pool bond was configured all in all this took around 30-40 mins.

The build is 8.2 with no other updates installed.

It feels network related rather than issues with the pool.