Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Express edition --> updates halted ["This operation is not allowed with your current license"]

Tom Rule

Question

We have a testbed setup, currently running Express 8.1

I want to test the move to 8.2 on the testbed before we upgrade the production setup, so I decided to do the interim hotfixes on the testbed.

The process fails at "Checking Server- side status", with the above-mentioned "this operation is not allowed with your current license"

Given Express Edition requires neither a license nor the license server..... any suggestions on getting this fool machine updated?

Observations:

1. Installed a license server [I needed the practice anyway] - made no difference. Figured that perhaps I needed to get a free license from somewhere.... Nope.

2. Downloaded the update manually and tried to install. No dice, same error.

3 answers to this question

You should not need a license server and live migration should still work with the free version, which is now called the "Express" edition.

https://www.citrix.com/content/dam/citrix/en_us/documents/product-overview/citrix-xenserver-feature-matrix.pdf

Your two or more hosts are similar in hardware configuration and fully patched? Also, XenTools must be installed on the VM to make it possible to be live migrated.

-=Tobias

Thanks, but I'm not trying to live migrate.

I have one host that I'm trying to get patched with the updates. There is not a 2nd host, it is not in a pool.

There are several VMs on the host, but ALL are shutdown [not paused/hibernated - shutdown].

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.