Welcome to our new Citrix community!

App Layer vs. Chrome Browser Content Redirection Plugin

Computer Resources

Question

I think it's appropriate to try a support case for this issue and I will. I cannot find any mention of the Chrome BCR plugin here so I'm hoping someone else has a solution. 

Endpoint - Windows 10 20H2, CWA 2012.1, Zoom/Webex Meeting Plugins, Chrome/Edge installed, VNC server/viewer, silverlight, visual c++, supporting lenovo/amd apps but super basic for us. 

VDA - Window 10 1809 LTSC, CWA 2102.0.25, VDA 2012.0, WEM 2101.2, Seven Elastic Apps, Full User Personal Layer (UPL from app layering), admin base image with lots of other apps too many to list, it's notable that Chrome is installed on an application layer as part of the base image with some supporting misc. apps like acrobat reader, flash, java, Chrome version: 88.0.4324.104 (updates disabled in the vda by group policy)

I can manually or using GPO install the BCR extension  4.1 from the play store into Chrome on the VDA. I can see it working properly in getting the green status indicator and youtube and other redirected sites like meet.google.com are working fabulously. It works for MANY repeated logouts, logons.. may even go for days. THEN, for unidentified reasons, I get a red status indicator for the extension and the issue is permanent. The red status indicator is 'Unable to connect to websocket service'

Why am I asking the applayering forum?? Because ******The situation remains UNTIL I give myself a new personal layer and then it will eventually fail again with the same symptom******* I'm using the same endpoint repeatedly. 

Here's what I tried that didn't fix it:

1. Chrome  Application Layer repair alone. 

2. Manual uninstall/reinstall of Chrome extension.

3. Deleting the contents of the C:\users\<user>\appdata\local\chrome\User Data\Default\Extensionss OR

a. C:\users\<user>\appdata\local\chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\hdppkjifljbdpckfajcmlblbchhledln OR

b. C:\users\<user>\appdata\local\chrome\User Data\Default OR

c. C:\users\<user>\appdata\local\chrome\ 

4. Block UPL synchronization to C:\users\<user>\appdata\local\chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\hdppkjifljbdpckfajcmlblbchhledln AND force reinstall of the plugin on every login. 

5. I couldn't identify a user or computer registry key that appears related. I'm looking for something that 'still' exists after uninstalling the extension,  but it would seem something like that. Even if I could identify one, I don't know how to block those from synching with the UPL VHD. 

Thank you for any input and thoughts

Cary Jeffers

3 answers to this question

Couple things first just terminology we call the user layer used in App Layering the Full User Layer.  We call it the User Personalization Layer (UPL) when you don't use App Layering and you want the software installed as part of the VDA,

Our recommendation for customer using chrome and the user layers is to let users install chrome into the user layer directly rather than starting with an App Layer because there is no good way to control chrome updates.  That way you know all the chrome files are in the user layer.

As you found out/ know extensions are user installed only. So I am wondering if the issue you are having is anything to do with the fact that some files are in a layer and some get put into the user layer.

Also I am not sure what UPL synchronization means?  Can you explain what you mean there.  The user layer is not really synchronized with anything so I am not sure what you mean.

Rob

• Like 1

Thank you for you input Rob,

We've been using  a Google Chrome Group Policy Administrative template to update the override policy. We have not, as of yet had an issue created by any updates. I'm hesitant to change the delivery model to 'user installed Chrome' as basically all users have had Full User Layers for almost 2 years. I have a concern that changing this delivery could create a conflict on the Full user layer requiring a replacement. We haven't really had to do that except in the most extreme of cases, most users have had the same user layer now for 1-2 years.  Long gone are the issues with UPM ugprades/changes, file server moves or other things that made users reconfigure settings. 

Also I am not sure what UPL synchronization means?  Can you explain what you mean there --

Full User Layer has a registry key to block copy back to the User Layer disk. I've only used this sparingly as I do not think it's supported by citrix. We have used this to block antivirus updates from going on the User Layer. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\unifltr AlwaysOnBoot Reg_SZ

Given your recommendation that we deliver Chrome via User Install on the Full User Layer. I can test creating a desktop in that manner and see if I can or cannot reproduce the BCR plugin failing eventually. If this must go this way, I'll try to develop a way to install chrome for them on their user layer whether that's a logon script or something the user would need to click on. 

Other Things I'm looking to possibly try -

There is, using the Google Chrome Administrative Template, an option to force install extensions at the Computer Configuration level. -- this is going off the idea that User Layer is conflicting with the App Layer containing Chrome. (although User Layer repair should fix this... it does not when tried). This can be tested.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:16 AM, Computer Resources said:

Thank you for you input Rob,

We've been using  a Google Chrome Group Policy Administrative template to update the override policy. We have not, as of yet had an issue created by any updates. I'm hesitant to change the delivery model to 'user installed Chrome' as basically all users have had Full User Layers for almost 2 years. I have a concern that changing this delivery could create a conflict on the Full user layer requiring a replacement. We haven't really had to do that except in the most extreme of cases, most users have had the same user layer now for 1-2 years.  Long gone are the issues with UPM ugprades/changes, file server moves or other things that made users reconfigure settings. 

Also I am not sure what UPL synchronization means?  Can you explain what you mean there --

Full User Layer has a registry key to block copy back to the User Layer disk. I've only used this sparingly as I do not think it's supported by citrix. We have used this to block antivirus updates from going on the User Layer. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\unifltr AlwaysOnBoot Reg_SZ

Given your recommendation that we deliver Chrome via User Install on the Full User Layer. I can test creating a desktop in that manner and see if I can or cannot reproduce the BCR plugin failing eventually. If this must go this way, I'll try to develop a way to install chrome for them on their user layer whether that's a logon script or something the user would need to click on. 

Other Things I'm looking to possibly try -

There is, using the Google Chrome Administrative Template, an option to force install extensions at the Computer Configuration level. -- this is going off the idea that User Layer is conflicting with the App Layer containing Chrome. (although User Layer repair should fix this... it does not when tried). This can be tested.

Just FYI. Following Rob's recommendation and may have been re-iterated by support too.. I ended up just putting chrome at the hands of our users. it's worked really well and has ended up with a more up to date version of Chrome every login.