Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Dedicated NIC for Storage

WC Jones

Question

Hello all,

I am new to Citrix Xencenter but not virtualization. I am doing some data migration and I am moving  away from fiber channel storage to NFS storage. My question is I have bonded nics(eth 4 and 6) and Bonded VM traffic(eth 5 and 7). I would like to use the VM traffic bond/interface to mount to NFS storage. I have configured the export on the allow the Ips I set for the (eth 5 and 7) but when I do a deep dive from the command line I see Xencenter using the management interface to connect. Is there any way to manually mount to the NFS server using the intended interface?

Xenserver .... 7 ( Dont kill me I am taking over for someone trying to get it in order :) )

Dell Isilon  H400

Flat network

22 answers to this question

That may just depend on your routing. If your NFS storage is on the same network as your Management interface or is accessible 

to a different network then its using the management interface default gateway to reach it. To use your VM traffic network then

it needs to be on the same accessible VM networks. 

--Alan--

Thanks for the response. So since the network if all flat no vlans is it possible to tell xencenter to use the specific interfaces for mounting NFS? When I put the Mgmnt IPs in the NFS export storage mounts. When I take those out and replace them with the IPs of the intended NFS interfaces it does not work due to permissions. 

Thanks

From what I can think in my mind you need separate networks for Management and Storage traffic.  You can do a flat network with your management and VM's because you make those assignments for the VM's for which networks to use. But for Management and Storage both at the host level you won't be able to make that distinction, your host will always use the Management interface for both. Separate networks so a route can be added to the routing table will be necessary. 

--Alan--

If you have multiple interfaces on the same network XenServer has no way to distinguish how to send traffic to one or the other.

Now what you could do is add a route manually so that traffic bound for NFS is sent to the proper interface. That would be a little

non-standard but should work.

--Alan--

Thanks for the responses. How would I go about manually adding a route for the interfaces? Getting in touch with our networks team is rather difficult since we are a very small lab and we are not on the high priority when it comes to changes. I think they would have to change the interface(s) that I want to use that currently has the VM traffic on it to a Trunk port instead of access with having Storage on vlan and VM traffic on another. If the static route works then I dont mind doing it.

I would try this 

find the network that you need your storage traffic to go to with:

xe network-list

assign a static route 

xe network-param-set uuid=<UUID of Network>  other-config:static-routes=10.x.x.x/32/10.x.x.1    (The Format here is IP of Storage, subnet, Gateway)

Use route -n to verify that traffic bound for 10.x.x.x is being redirected to the correct interface while all other 10.x.x.x traffic

is still outbound to the management interface. 

If this hack/workaround doesn't work I would look at setting up separate networks/vlans for management and storage or just 

continuing using the management interface for storage. 

--Alan--

Thanks for the responses. I drew it out on my white board and the easiest solution would be what you mentioned in regards have networks create with different subnet. I will have them change the management Vlan instead of current VM traffic so that I dont have to worry about the VMs network status. Thanks!

Hello All,

So I finally got networks to provide me a different Vlan and the IPs are on a different subnet for management yay! Now I have been browsing and I have not found an easy method when it comes to switching mgnt  IPs on the host.  Is there a short and concise process that anyone has?  I have 6 host in a pool and I know to turn off HA before doing what I want to do. 

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I tried all with no luck. I ended up on doing and emergency reset on the management NICs on both of the problem host.  I am good to go! thank you all for you help on this. I will be back.....going to have to upgrade after the data migration is complete.