Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Microsoft 365 Apps activation issues in publish Apps mode

Martin Rose

Question

Hello,

We have setup a new Citrix environment. We have problems with Microsoft 365 activation. If users launch one of these apps as publish, and will sign in for activation, the whole program is freezing. The only way to exit, will be to enter Connection Center and force terminate.

If users going into Virtual Desktop and open same Microsoft 365 Apps, they will be able to sign in and activate. It works perfect. Then can users exit Desktop mode and launch publish Apps, and they are now signed in and works perfect.

I have seach, but have not finding some answers. Otherwise i can see other users have same issue. 

Eventlog and process manager, give none results.

Citrix Workers running

Windows Server 2019

FSLogix Profile Containers

VDA 2009.

Microsoft 365 for Enterprise - 16.0.13801.20266

We do not use Microsoft 365 Containers, at the moment.

When you fill this and click next, its freezing.

image.thumb.png.7dc83de440e0e5f5cbea007c9cd2848d.png

16 answers to this question

Hello,

Solution update: 

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity" /v DisableADALatopWAMOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity" /v DisableAADWAM /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/403721-office-365-pro-plus-shared-activation-password-screen-not-able-to-select

• Like 1

For the record.  Kasper pointed me to this article: https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/414496-m365-apps-for-business-on-server-2019-vda-asks-users-for-signing-in-to-set-up-office

Which contains this workaround as a PowerShell login script:  

If (-not (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin)) { Add-AppxPackage -Register "$env:windir\SystemApps\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\Appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode -ForceApplicationShutdown } Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin

This seems to work for me in my lab.  

However, I would still like to know if there's a "real" fix on the horizon?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Martin Rose said:

Hello,

Solution update: 

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity" /v DisableADALatopWAMOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity" /v DisableAADWAM /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/403721-office-365-pro-plus-shared-activation-password-screen-not-able-to-select

As per Microsoft this is not a recommended solution:
Disabling ADAL or WAM to fix Office sign-in or activation issues not recommended - Office 365 | Microsoft Docs

I have been able to reproduce the issue in my lab. I am suspecting Citrix API hooks at the moment. The reason for this is, that I do not see any issues with RDS RemoteApp publishing of Microsoft 365 Apps.

Are there new findings?

The users get randomly the problem.

Windows 2016, Office 365 Apps, Citrix/PVS 1912 CU2. 

Microsoft Call suggest to use the RegKeys, Microsoft official recommondation is not using the RegKeys.

We use Hybrid Azure AD, but the PVS Mashine Accounts not synced to the Azure AD. Should the PVS RDS Server Accounts also synced to the Azure AD?

Hybrid Join alone does not fix this issue, as confirmed in my lab.  

Has anyone found a real solution to this issue?  I'm currently testing things like FSLogix IncludeOfficeActivation=0 and such, but not having much luck.  I see the exact same symptoms.  

Windows Server 2019

FSLogix Profile/ODFC Containers

VDA 1912 LTSR CU3.

M365 Word - Version 2111 Build 16.0.14701.20278 64-bit

On 3/29/2021 at 3:05 AM, Martin Rose said:

Hello,

Solution update: 

This fixed our issues in testing. Has anyone used these and had issues later? 

We have been using this solution in production for a couple of years.

LTSR 2203 and newer have a Shellbridge solution that is intended to replace these overrides, but as of now that solution does not terminate the session after the final app is closed. We have a Citrix support case opened for this issue since August, but it has seen no resolution in 5 months of working the case.