Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows 10 vDisk KMS preparation broken by Software Protection Service

Question

Hi all,

I've been using Provisioning Services for many years, and I have always been successful in getting KMS configured correctly on the vDisks for Windows 7 and Windows 10.  However, one thing I've seen (and confirmed with Citrix tech support in the past) is that if I boot the vDisk in private mode, and the Software Protection Service (sppsvc) runs, then when I shut it down and switch back to standard mode, the unique PC ID generation that Citrix incorporates into the the vDisk when you prepare it for KMS activation stops working.  At this point, I can no longer share the vDisk to multiple PCs because they will all report the same ID to the KMS server.

In the past, I've been able to keep this from happening by disabling scheduled tasks for Software Protection that would cause the service to start.  I then run a script to force the activation by using slmgr.vbs when the vDisk is booted in standard mode.

With my current vDisk running Windows 10 LTSC 2019, I've tried to disable scheduled tasks that will start this service, but I've learned through experimentation that the service starts 1 hour (almost exactly) after boot.  I've also seen that simply opening the System Control Panel applet will cause the service to start (probably because Windows sees it's not activated and tries to activate before showing the activation status on that screen).  I haven't been able to track down what is causing the service to start 1 hour later, but the Application Event Log reports Event ID 900:  The Software Protection service is starting.  Parameters:TriggerStarted:20

I haven't seen other Provisioning Services users mentioning this type of issue, so I don't know what's different in my implementation except that I'm not running in a Windows Domain environment.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jerry

3 answers to this question

Thank you for replying...

No.  It's not necessary if the Software Protection service doesn't run, but I knew this was an option.  The issue for our build in the past was the limit on rearms - for Windows 7, it was 3.  For Windows 10, it's 1001, and we're not likely to hit that value, but I've tried to avoid having to do the rearm.  Of course, I could update on a copy of a master vDisk, then prepare that for KMS with a rearm, and replace all of my vDisks each time, but there are some complications in my environment about doing that.

How do you handle your updates?  With a master vDisk that has never been rearmed or with a vDisk that is rearmed each time you apply updates?